Organizing ripped CDs

I think that is a really bad choice (and advice). Tags in Roon are NOT designed to be be individually assigned to single albums. They are designed to group albums, artists, tracks or whatever.

Why not use VERSION tagging?? That works, and will show you the Discogs identity in the album view, and also in overviews like the Album view.

But like someone said, don’t use Roon as a metadata editor, that will be a struggle.
Set the discogs identity within brackets in the folder name, that will allow Roon to automatically populate the Version.

But, there are inconsistensies when searching for the Version tag, some are found, some are not.

3 Likes

Ok can you explain how using tags is a bad choice?

Because Tags and Bookmarks are not easily organized in Roon. There is no “manage”-function to aloow, for say, grouping of bookmarks. Yes you can “filter” in the Tag view, but it s not possible to “group” Tags together in “folders” so to speak.
Basically, Tags are supposed to group thing together, not identify individual objects.
Thise are better identified by searchable/visible metadata, such as the Version property, which is easily populated using folder names, by populating metadata (in a separate application) or even possible to maintain and edit in Roon.

But I have no desire to organize my tags. I will not use Tags for anything other than giving a serial number to my CD discs. So where is the problem?

I’m not saying it is undoable, and you are of course free to examine the method. To me the clutter of tags in Album view will be a hindrance.
And you will NOT see tags in overviews, Version will.

For identifying 500 CD’s i’m sure it’ll work. But then you buy a used CD collection of another 300, another 450 etc. and you set out on a trip that will require you to rework.

And since Album Version is supposed to identify a particular release af a rwcord, it fit’s your need.
And as i said earlier, it’s a lot easier to populate and maintain these.

You could append the number in the Album Title. Like “The Wall” becomes “The Wall (Disk 334)”.

Or, use the Version field is free text and seems to be Searchable, not Filterable. This also can be done in the base files and Roon will pick up the addition of the Version metadata tag

Or, you could use Tags, however, tags are meant for grouping not so much as a unique metadata field which was mentioned earlier. As for an issue - they also take up more processing, so too many of them could slow your RoonServer down.

@Mikael_Ollars is making good points, plus there seems to be a limit to the number of in-Roon tags and it is not very high:

2 Likes

Anything “CD” or “Disc,” Roon will truncate from the title.

AJ

Check out “Collectorz Music Software”. I’ve used this to track my 8000+ CD’s. I use the browser version which makes it real easy to connect on any device.
It’s the BEST way to catalog and track your collection.
Of course, now that all your CD’s are in Roon, you can pretty much find any CD, any Artist and any Track via Roon search

1 Like

What he wants to do is to find the physical CD based on an ID number that shall be visible in Roon

Roon has had issues with users with lots of tags and lots of albums. Using tags for each album will generate a unique tag and I fear your library performance may suffer. Roon has enough performance related things to do with library size, too many albums by one single artist amongst others.

You can create tags for each CD, such as “CD001,” “CD002,” and so on. While this doesn’t give you a sequential number directly tied to Roon, it provides a searchable and organized way to group and locate your CDs within Roon.

And it may well cripple his library no doubt, tags can really slow down the library if there is many different ones which this will create. Using tags is not a good idea in this case at all.

1 Like

–MD

Yeah I said that a week ago :slight_smile: I also still don’t understand why the other proposed solution of using Version is not considered OK

3 Likes

Yes you did. Just name the pdf the album number desired. No need to open pdf file.

–MD

Yeah good point, indeed I didn’t say this and it’s worth pointing out. Just thinking that as far as I understand the question it seems to me that more than one good solution was proposed and yet the thread is going in circles for reasons I don’t understand :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who participated in the thread and shared the pros and cons of different ways to solve the issue of how best to organize my ripped CDs. After weighing the pros and cons of Tags vs Version, I have settled on using Version to record the order number on the CD. It seems to work well!

6 Likes

Because it’s a an open forum and like hearding cats. We all have our own views and ideas and like most threads support ones included they all go round and round.

Excellent Thomas, if you are satisfied, all is good!
And with a “tongue in cheek” smiley :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: i need to ask, if you are aware that Roon can also play your ripped CD’s, rather than show you were they are physically, in your storage!?! :sweat_smile:

Happy listening!

2 Likes