Possibility to restart the Roon Core / Server via Roon Remote

I know this has been dead for a while, but i too would love this. In fact a simple web backend for RoonServer (just like ROCK) would be ideal.

I manage my dad’s system too, he’s many timezones away and I’m a tad sick of being called in the middle of the night to reboot his server via TV!

You’d make me very happy if you added something like this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lately I have to reboot my roon core more often than before.

A possibility to reboot the roon core (roon server) via any roon remote would be extremely helpful.
Like there is the possibilty to update all roon devices via roon remote.

As it is now, you have to reboot the whole machine where the roon server runs instead of just restarting roon server itself.
I hope this is feasible

11 Likes
7 Likes

It is possible with Roon ROCK.

But it would be nice to be able to schedule restarting the core, e.g. daily or weekly?
Maybe someone can build an extension to do so?

1 Like

@christoph

Click

1. settings
  2. setup
  3. configure
  4. I.P. Address in blue

Mid left of screen. Roon server software drop down option restart or reboot.

Top right of screen. Power button drop down. Option restart or stop.

This is on Nucleus+ not sure if what you have is the same but check it and see.

2 Likes

Beat me to it seagull

I think the OP was asking for non-ROCK / non-Nucleus machines to have reboot capability from Remote.

4 Likes

Not seen it on anything other than nucleus but surely the software will work the same way no matter what O.S. it is running on…
Partly why I put the route to get to the restart, he can try it and see if it is the same .

See, what the OP is complaining about (and I agree with the need for) is that for Roon under WIN10, macOS, and I presume Linux, there is no way to reboot Roon from a Remote.

The capability just isn’t in the code.

2 Likes

@Slim_Fishguttz
I thought roon rock was based on Linux, am I wrong in that assumption?

Your not reading what I am saying.

If the Roonies had coded the capabilty in the Remote to shut down the Core remotely, then it could certainly be done.

The problem is, for the OSes that I named, there is no field or button or whatever to invoke from the Remote to shut down the Core.

Anyway, have a good day and stay safe…

I think Nucleus and ROCK are different from Windows and MacOS, precisely because they are single-purpose systems (some of you know I have ranted about single-purpose vs general-purpose computer systems, several years ago).

It is definitely considered uncouth for an application client to reboot a Windows server. There might be a Photoshop job doing a 40” x 60” print…

Again, not talking about rebooting the machine. Just restarting Roon Core from a Remote.

3 Likes

Point a web browser at the IP address of the core machine, don’t you get this page? On my Nucleus I have Reboot under the red button I the upper right, may not work on other OS machines, but the restart should be there.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/possibility-to-restart-the-roon-core-roon-server-via-roon-remote/102866/8?u=slim_fishguttz

So which is it?
I don’t have a Windows Core here, I can’t test it.
But I assumed that restarting the core is possible, per the screen above, and rebooting the machine is not because that is uncouth.

On the Nucleud, I see this in the upper right:

On Linux I open a remote ssh session and type sudo systemctl restart roonserver. I think most people running Linux would have no problem with that.

However, on Linux Roon is run as a service. On MacOS (and Windows?) this isn’t usually the case.

2 Likes

Anders, you and I can’t seem to communicate with each other.

As I have said from the beginning, you can’t restart a Roon Core that is running on a Win10 or macOS machine from a Remote.

I have never been talking about a Nucleus or ROCK and neither was the OP that got us into this morass.

3 Likes

I think that every OS supported to run Roon Server on provides at least one way to restart the software. While some platforms might allow for easy remote access to this functionality – and for some platforms (Nucleus(+) and ROCK) you can get there from within the Roon Control (UI) – it’s a fact that to do so you actually are leaving/have to leave the Roon Control (UI). For platforms that don’t support an (easy to use) remote way, the user even has to physically access the machine running Roon Server to do so. Given the many problems right now that seems to be solvable with a simple restart of the Roon Server process or the restart is recommended as a (first) step in troubleshooting, the possibility to do this from the client has been raised again in this thread.

It’s easy to shutdown an application remotely but it’s not easy to restart it. You can tell Roon to die and it will. But you cannot tell it to restart because it’s dead. You’d need something, other than Roon, to tell it to restart (which Linux / Unix already has built-in). As others said, under Windows 10 this requires running Roon as a service and then you have the capability of restarting the service remotely. I don’t know enough about Mac to know the equivalent.

The easy solution is to use RDP or VNC to login to you Windows or Mac machine and do it that way. Both OS’s support this natively and anything you’re using as a remote should support the client. Free versions of the client are easy to obtain.