Problem with Roon 2.0.16 and Parametric EQ

Roon Core Machine

Roon Rock NUC7i3BNH, 16Go of Ram, wired.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Trendnet network Gigabit switch TEG 582G wired. Roon Core to my streamer HiFi Rose 250 with Belden Cat 5a

Connected Audio Devices

HiFi Rose 250 USB output to Denafrips IRIS DDC, Denafrips IRIS I2S output to Denafrips Terminator II

Number of Tracks in Library

68 017 tracks.

Description of Issue

I have a problem with the recent version of Roon. As you can see, Roon tells me that there is a frequency equalizer in operation, yet it is not. Both on my HiFi Rose 250 (used only as a Roon endpoint) and in the DSP settings on Roon are off. I had encountered the same problem with the latest early access version (1268). Went back to the production version 2.0.15 at the time. The problem was gone. So, it definitely seems that the problem is related to this latest version of Roon. A proposal to solve this problem or this must go through a new corrected version?

2 Likes

Did you report it in Early Access? Can’t find anything

No, unfortunately. I thought It was related to a bug in my Roon Rock.

Pity, that would have been your chance to get it out of the way ASAP :slight_smile:
It’s a weird issue though. Can you hear any difference, as if the PEQ was actually enabled? Probably it’s just a cosmetic issue

Same problem here on a HIFI ROSE 150B, no problem on previous version of roon.

(when i play through my Topping dx3pro+ no EQ problem)

3 Likes

There’s no plan for an equalizer e.g. of RS150B…

My device has the identical phenomenon since the update. However, I cannot detect any change in the sound. In my opinion, a bug in the software or it is a display feature???
Then other devices must shown the “custom” EQ, too…

1 Like

@BlackJack I don’t use an equalizer on my HiFi Rose 250. The option is off. But above all, it is impossible to use this function with a digital output, only with an analog output. As indicated in my first post, my HiFi Rose is only used as a Roon endpoint player and I use the USB digital output to my Denafrips Terminator II dac. It was only in the last update that this problem appeared. Can @support tell us if they are looking for an answer or solution to this problem? Many thanks to the team!

1 Like

Couldn’t it be that the Hifi Rose applies some fixed, internal, non-configurable DSP. It may not have been previously exposed in the signal chain, and with either a firmware update or a Roon update this is now “fixed”?

These kind of things also happen with let’s say active speakers. I know Hifi Rose is not an active speaker, just giving an another example
Of these custom internal DSPs.

Let’s see what Hifi Rose and Roon have to say

1 Like

I have the same issue with my Rose RS150. Before the last Roon update I did not get this.

1 Like

I have the same issue with my Rose 150b with the new Roon update. The Rose 150b is running firmware 4.5.05.1 updated March 31 2023. This issue with insertion of the Parametric EQ showed up immediately after the Roon update. So, it seems logical to associate to the Roon update rather than the Rose software. I’m hoping the next Roon update resolves this issue which I believe is not affecting sound quality as far as I can tell.

1 Like

I have the same problem with RS250. Roon please work with Hifi Rose to solve this…

It is reflecting the EQ settings on my RS250 even though EQ was disabled on RS250.

Hi All,

Thanks for the reports here. Can you please confirm what the settings are configured as in the HiFi Rose Companion App? Do you have any custom EQ settings turned on there?

Hi @noris,

Thank you so much for your inquiries. My HiFi Rose 250 is configured as a Roon Ready. EQ is off. Bluetooth is off also. Wireless is off. The USB audio digital output is on (other digitals output are off). The analogue output are off. Tidal, Qobuz and the LCD screen are on. If I can help let me know.

This feels similar to the issue NAD amps have as showing enhanced for the analogue amplifier section when it should be lossless.

1 Like

@noris Thanks for jumping in. I have the Rose 150b with no EQ settings enabled and never have used them. While I do not believe the SQ has been impacted, it is interesting that the insertion of the Parametric EQ appeared just after the last Roon update. Never have used any EQ settings and normally only see the purple dot. I will say that the Parametric EQ does not appear when playing DSD network stored files. It appears however when playing PCM files or any streaming from Qobuz or Tidal.

Same here. No Parametric EQ when I am playing DSD files, only with PCM (HiRes or not). I attached a screenshot of my audio settings for my USB digital output. My external dac is a Denafrips Terminator II.

No Eq enabled on Rose rs150B, EQ only present in PCM:

Was going to point out the same :slight_smile:

1 Like