Qobuz favourites: please, please, please [...]

they can - you favourite it.

talking about what Roon automatically adds to library on first synch (then keeps doing)
letting users choose wouldn’t change a bit of what you want

Being able to favourite a Qobuz album in Roon but not in your library would be good (I don’t seem able to favourite anything in Roon that I haven’t added to my library as yet)… I think eventually separating the ‘like’ button concept and the ‘add to library’ concept - from within Roon that is - is a good idea.

You can only favourite tracks that are in your library. Here is a previous explanation.

issue, at present, is exactly that kind of separation: Roon’s “heart” (or “pick”) does not add an album (on Qobuz) to favourites
If it did… one could browse Qobuz New Release and add albums to favourites from right there (as I used to do, a few years ago, with Audirvana)
Then using (eventually) “Add to Library”…

Yes I think the problem begins in assuming a ‘favourite’ is the same as a ‘library’ item, of course for Roon users and any other library management software we are all used to before streaming came around one is not the the same as the other.

Simply because streaming services do not offer a library feature, and so far none of them have made any great efforts in adding library like features to thier ‘favourite’ lists, then the two shall never meet. Except Roon wanted to add new users Qobuz and Tidal favourites to Roon, but as you can’t currently ‘like’ non-library albums they did the next best thing and put them in our libraries.

Why not simply separate the two completely. When you ‘like’ an album or track in Roon it adds it to your Qobuz ‘favourites’ because that’s what it is. When you ‘like’ and album or track in Qobuz then Roon adds it to your ‘favourites’ because that’s what it is. When you add an album or track to your Roon library it does absolutely nothing in Qobuz, because Qobuz doesn’t have a library. If you want to mark albums or tracks in Roon for playback on the go from Qobuz apps then ‘like’ it in Roon.

I know Roon architecture doesn’t presently allow liking non-library items, but now Qobuz and Tidal users are increasing and those who store files on local drives are decreasing many more of the Roon staple features will change. Obviously many of us are in both camps so this needs careful attention, but seriously, as a long term Qobuz user moving to Roon for its discovery features what’s the point of a focus on ‘just’ my library? There are millions of tracks out there I could be introduced to? Same goes for Lable focus, the entire Discovery page… times they are a changing.

1 Like

Except, the whole direction these days is that the “Library” contains both local material and streamed material, with the direction towards ever-increasing proportion of streamed material. I’m happy with the way in which Roon currently handles this, and do not want to see a change.

2 Likes

that’s fine, Geoff, if one doesn’t also “need” to act on stuff Roon has placed in his library
otherwise…

… an example of what I reported this morning (about how difficolt/confusing is adding/removing Qobuz favourites from library)…

look at where Anna Calvi’s “Live at Meltdown” album shows in “Qobuz Favourite Albums” section:

now look at my Favourites on Qobuz website:

as you can see it’s the eighth album in both places, right?

but… where is it in my Roon Library? God only knows! searched for it scrolling through 20+ “pages” to no avail. it’s somewhere among a messy mix of local stuff, purchases (added anew by Roon) and Favourites (added in there by Roon). all in a totally random order! :angry:

if I want it to go from my library (… and Favourites) I can only:

• un-favourite on Qobuz website

or, using Roon, I have to:

• add it to my library, first, then…
  • delete it from library
    (and I’m not sure it will, someday, also go from Qobuz website so… must remember to check there in a few hours/days)

:roll_eyes:

You are looking at your Qobuz favorites in your Qobuz-profile, seems like a strange place to compare to Roon. It’s more like a shoppinglist. If you dont use the Qobuz app I tend to look for my favorites in the Qobuz webplayer.

Qobuz, actually, has two libraries (Purchases and Favourites) and this is why Roon has messed-up my library :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this discussion gets confused by the shared use of the word Favorite.

Roon has two concepts, In Library and Favorite (like, heart).

But Tidal and Qobuz have only one, Favorite. Clicking on the heart icon is the was to adding an album to my library in T and Q. There is nothing else.

Q has a button called My Favorites, there is nothing else.
T has a button called My Collection, but the way to add something to the collection is to click the heart.

So those concepts should absolutely be synced: Roon — in the library, T — amy collection, Q — my favorites. Don’t change anything.

The fact that some users had come up with their own semantics, where favoriting was tentative and purchasing was permanent, is neither here nor there. Purchasing a local copy has nothing to do with the streaming service. Notwithstanding the fact that you did both from the same corporation. I have for a long time purchased albums I favorited in Tidal, but I purchased them from HDTracks or Amazon or HRA. That purchase doesn’t mean I want to unfavorite them in Tidal. Imagine that Tidal bought HDTrscks, or Amazon bought Tidal should that change the Roon semantics?

As I keep saying, this problem will go away, for the special-semantics people and for us others, once album identification goes away. (I read a Roon explanation for why this is difficult, but it wasn’t persuasive.)

in fact that’s how I always have used it. But Roon assumed instead I already had bought everything in there

Absolutely not.
Neither Tidal nor Qobuz have a button called My Shopping List.
And very few customers purchase albums from T or Q (or anywhere else), we have all see the statistics.

I might be fine with this if the “heart” was also reflected in Roon and if adding/removing it from Roon was reflected on Qobuz (as it happens in Audirvana)

‘like’ a shopppinglist. The only thing I wanted to say is it is much more logical to view your Qobuz fav’s in the webplayer, if you dont use the app.

It is reflected, just with different iconography. Q/T heart means *in-library.

only in part as… Qobuz favourites do show in my Roon library but they’re not actually there, meaning I can’t act on them in any way unless I, first, go to “Qobuz Favourite Albums” section and click “Add to Library”

can’t think of anything more confusing than this! :roll_eyes:

Roon wants to add my Qobuz Favourites to library? Then, even if I don’t agree, just go and do it in full: don’t leave me in this halfway situation! :angry:

Paolo, this response from Brian might be of interest - he’s describing how he adds music to evaluate later. The end result is that he’s building up his library, but he curates from within, rather than from without…

1 Like

Not quite true. If I purchase an album on Qobuz, one which I’ve never played in Roon, one which I do not favorite in Qobuz, it will still show up in Roon as a Qobuz favorite album, as well as the physical copy already in my Library.

In Qobuz you can save tracks or albums for local storage. For me this is like add to library. It is the library I have access to tracks and albums for offline play, e.g. in a plane. So, this could be the add to library, but Roon has no acces to this info in the API provided by Qobuz.