Random track skips

Welcome @Bruce_Gruber

There are two other threads covering this issue. You are not alone.

There is no pattern that I can discern, @Bruce_Gruber. It seems utterly random. (i just posted some thoughts in another thread. Grrrrrā€¦)

Seems to happen no matter the source material.

And since my system was rock-solid before 1.7, we can only ask the question, ā€œGee, what changed since it last worked well?ā€

Hmmm, Iā€™ll keep an eye out for those conditions today.

The only consistent thing Iā€™ve really noticed is that when Iā€™m settled in listening and a track jumps, steam comes out of my ears and my nostrils flare.

Similar issue here last night.

Mac Mini running core, ultraRendu endpoint.

During streaming, a song would stop and jump to the next track. In at least one case it was repeatable. Largely, the point at which it would stop a track seemed unpredictable.

Fortunately, when we were later listening to the new Leonard Cohen drop (Thanks for the Dance), it played without a hitch. It wouldā€™ve been disappointing to have that album interrupted.

I hope we can find a solution for this. Itā€™s annoying, and represents the only major Roon hitch that Iā€™ve encountered.

ā€¦ and I would suggest itā€™s entirely related to 1.7.

Prior to the update, no such issue, and I have made no network or configuration changes during the transition.

Hi @RobH,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does the same issue occur if you play to System Output without DSP?

How often are you seeing this occur?

@dylan

Will do as soon as Iā€™m able.

Thank you
Rob

@dylan

Done. Let me know if I can provide more information.

Edit: And now I canā€™t seem to find the post. Dagnabbitā€¦ that took me some time.

Edit edit: I see it now.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini, late 2012 running High Sierra 10.13.6
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
250GB Internal SSD, 2TB external SSD via USB for library

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

100+ MBps incoming from Suddenlink.
Linksys Velop mesh network with primary node, one node for stereo, one node for studio upstairs.

Netgear Prosafe Gigabit switch GS105 hangs off of primary node in front room.
Mac Mini Core Core is hardwired Ethernet CAT6 to Netgear switch.
Wifi to second (stereo) node one room over.
Hardwire Ethernet CAT6 from second node into ultraRendu

Audio Devices (Specify what device youā€™re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

UltraRendu sends USB out to MQA SPDIF converter, then HDMI/I2S to PS Audio DirectStream Sr. Running Windom OS (latest).

*Description Of Issue

Roon was running perfectly well prior to the 1.7 upgrade. I never heard ANY issues no matter if I was bitperfect or using DSP/Upsampling functions.

Since the 1.7 upgrade, tracks and albums mostly play well, but sometimes a song will stop prematurely and play will jump to the next track in the queue. Sometimes I can go for a couple of hours without a hitch, other times track after track will skip. It sometimes seems that once skipping starts, it tends to happen more often. Once last evening, I tried playing a track three times in a row, only to have it skip off each time. (I gave up at that point.)

Sometimes a track will skip, and replaying allows it to play through. Other times, replaying a skipped track will manifest another skip, though not always at the same point in the track.

The skipping seems to be totally random, although I may just not be connecting the dots.

How often? Sometimes not for hours. Sometimes track after track after track.

In addition, last night we noticed a couple of subtle ā€˜blurflesā€™, where there was a brief moment of garbled sound. Not overly distinct, but we looked at each other with ā€˜did you hear that too?ā€™

As per @dylanā€™s request, I tried to set for System Output on the Core Mac Mini, but Roon software came up as though it wanted to reinstall (ā€œI want to run Core on this machineā€ dialogue) and I didnā€™t want to risk overwriting my installation. I donā€™t know if there is another way to test this.

Update today. I have not had one incomplete track play. All played thru, Roon Radio or full albums. I was listening for over 5 hours today. I have not changed anything in my setup.

I do hope that support can get to the bottom of this issue, and soon.

We had an extended listening session last night, because Saturday, and it was seriously interrupted because of these track truncations. This is a season of new album drops, it seems, and I was looking forward to more exploration. We quit in frustration.

There was one new song I wanted to hear in particular. I could not hear it; it failed three times in a row. I still donā€™t know how it ends.

It winds up being a trust issue. One expects that the normally-solid Roon will handle its duties properly. In most cases with 1.7, a song or album will play through, but many others fail. And you never, ever know when that will be.

So, the effect on what should be sublime listening session has us sitting up for every track, wondering if it will play or fail this time.

Completely unpredictable.

Totally frustrating.

Absolutely unacceptable.

(Can you tell that Iā€™m angry about this?)

7 Likes

Hi @RobH, Iā€™ve moved your post into the support thread that @dylan is working with you on just so we can efficiently troubleshoot this issue with you. I apologize for the frustration this issue has caused, please know that weā€™re doing testing on our end as well, and that weā€™ll keep you posted as we have more information. Thank you for bearing with us during this process!

1 Like

Hi @RobH ā€” You have our sincere apologies here. We understand this can be frustrating and we want to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Can you share what track this was with us?

Are you still seeing the skip with this track each time?

1 Like

@dylan

Actually, for the limited time we listened last night, Roon/Qobuz was well-behaved. There was only one skip that we know of, but then again, that shows that the pathology is still there. As I mentioned, it can play well for hours, and then skip on many tracks, then back to no skipping.

Two nights ago, skips were rampant on Lake Street Diveā€™s album, Free Yourself Up. Although a number of tracks skipped, one track couldnā€™t play through after three tries. Sorry, I canā€™t recall which one, but it may have been the fourth or fifth track.

Knowing that the Lake Street Drive album seemed problematic, I played the Qobuz version of the album again last night. The one skip of the night was on a track called Red Light Kisses, and the skip occurred at 4:54 eastern time.

I hope this helps. Good luck finding the gremlin.

Thanks, @RobH.

Weā€™ve enabled diagnostics so the team can take a look at the incident you mentioned above. I appreciate you sending the information over!

And if I encounter more skips, @dylan, Iā€™ll post the info here.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @RobH,

We just released Build 505 with some changes that we think will help here. Can you give it a shot and let us know how things are going?

Thanks!

More details are here:

Thanks, @mike and @dylan

It seems that when I stare at this problem, it behaves. We listened for about 4-5 hours last night and didnā€™t encounter any skips. And I made sure to test various sources and DSP configurations.

Iā€™ll download the new build today and report back.

@mike @dylan

Well, the system hasnā€™t been on constantly due to the holiday, but from what weā€™ve heard, there are no more skips.

If youā€™d like, I think it would be safe to close this ticket, if you havenā€™t already. If the problem crops up again, Iā€™ll let you know.

Thanks for the help,
Rob

1 Like