Restart Roon ROCK remotely?

I would like a way to reboot my Roon Core remotely.

I just had a situation where Roon ARC stopped working whilst I was away from home. Upon my return Roon Core was still running on my system (I could see it all green on its local IP address, and local Roon ran fine on my home network) but for some reason it wasn’t working with ARC. I manually rebooted the system and everything was immediately fine.

I have Roon ROCK running on a repurposed Lenovo x220 laptop. It had worked for weeks with any issues before this hiccup.

A way to be able to login remotely and restart the Core or troubleshoot would be superb, and is a much needed option.

5 Likes

I agree 100 percent. This is really needed for Roon ARC to be a success.

3 Likes

There are a number of feature requests for this. If you care about this, you should curate them (by identifying all the specific feature requests, below are a few, and asking mods to merge them) and then running a campaign here to get people to vote for the “primary request”.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/remote-restart-of-core-remotes/41639

There’s also a number of related support requests where you can find workarounds and ideas / and others who want the same thing.

Good luck!

I don’t think any of that matters. Roon is well aware of the issue and probably agrees it’s something that is needed. However, it might not be feasible. If it is feasible, I’m sure Roon will implement it sometime because it’s such an obviously needed thing.

1 Like

I think Roon deemed it not feasible and moved on, at least on non-ROCK OSs.

I have another PC in my house that i can remotely control to connect and restart the rock nuc. If not and arc mattered to me I’d run roonserver on an OS I can remote to.

1 Like

I might do that also…if I knew how. I just switch to Apple Music if Roon ARC stops working.

If your home router allows create a VPN. You can open it from your mobile and get via browser to your Rock (if not frozen). Restart it remotely and things should be fine.

5 Likes

I run Roon Core on its own machine precisely so I don’t have to run a full computer all the time.

Thanks for this… Luckily my router does allow this, so going to have this setup and see if it can solve any future problems. Nice!

1 Like

Roon suppoorts wake on lan. For example, assuming your mobo and NIC are WOL compliant and if using windows look at Aquila Technology Wake on Lan. There are similar apps avilable on android.

But that’s just for waking up, not shutting down, right?

A possible easy way……

Use a Smart IP controlled outlet, which is remotely accessible. This will control power to the NUC.

Then set the NUC for auto on, after power failure. The setting is in the bios.
This setting makes the NUC restart to a power on status when power is lost and restored.

1 Like

Why would one need a Smart outlet?

I thought the instructions were clear.
It cuts/restores power to the NUC allowing auto reboot via bios.

Do you have an easier way? For Rock

Yes, when the power comes on the NUC will start by itself.

If you mean to shut down ROCK by cutting the power, then that’s a good way to corrupt the database.

Clear enough?

3 Likes

I understand that’s a risk.
But this was only a fall back suggestion on a loss of connection.

Enjoy.

Since you addressed your suggestion to @Jim_F, it doesn’t really matter. He knows better than to shut down his Nucleus that way.

2 Likes

Don’t do this, you’ll corrupt the Roon database by just killing power. It needs to be cleanly shut down.

2 Likes

I don’t have a Nucleus, so none of this is relevant

As I say in the original post I am running ROCK on a Lenovo x220 laptop. Start on power doesn’t work, sadly, unless windows installed.