Roon core unstable after an update. HARD DOWN

I have Roon Rock (its linnux based, i believe) loaded on a NUC i7 is that what you need?

I dont mean to come accross as yelling. Im frustrated. Its been a few weeks and its very impactful to me. I appreciate alll of the help. I truly do. Ive tried to answer all of the questions asked of me. Please let me know anything i have not.

Ok rock and nucleus both got updates to the NTFS drivers thatā€™s is being looked at for issues as you might know from other posts. @support should get in here at some stage and get diagnostics results looked at in your caseā€¦hang in there.

600k tracks is a lot and not sure if this is causing any issues with the new build.

Benjamin did come back on a couple of occasions thus far tho.

Thank you @wizardofoz i am hanging in.

I hadnt seen the driver update threads but that sounds like it could be the cause. Ill wait for the cavalry. Thanks again.

One of many, more info in this thread:

Thanks i ran a CHKDSK on this drive and it checked clean. Plugged it back in and had the same issues

That would have been easy but on the bright side itā€™s at least one cause ruled out :slight_smile:

Hey @Ben_Katz,

Thanks for your patience while we continue to investigate this issue. Our team spent a considerable amount of time deep diving your account, but havenā€™t yet seen any specific instances of the crashing in your core logs.

However, we did just release a fix to a similar issue on the newest Roon build 1169 that may very well help you in this case.

If the issue persists, can you provide a specific timestamp the next time the crash occurs?

Iā€™ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

I have updated and enabled the 16 bit #-L drive. It started struggling at 5:29pm ET while it was scanning the drive lost access to the core at 5:31PM ETā€¦im staring at the ā€œuh oh, somethings not rightā€ error now (same as it has been)

I am tagging @benjamin to ensure that he sees your above reply (you replied to my post)

Thanks i appreciate it

I have updated and enabled the 16 bit #-L drive. It started struggling at 5:29pm ET while it was scanning the drive lost access to the core at 5:31PM ETā€¦im staring at the ā€œuh oh, somethings not rightā€ error now (same as it has been)

Hey @Ben_Katz,

Thanks for the additional information. After reviewing your logs around the time you experienced the struggle, I am seeing many corrupt files that could be slowing this down. It looks like almost all of the Harry Potter tracks are showing as corrupt. That, and Jesus Presley are showing many corrupt files. There seem to be just over 1K of corrupt files in total.

The file path for the corrupted files are : /roon/sys/storage/mounts/16_Bit_Music_M-Z_Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NA8FBE3W_86E4FE3BE4FE2CD5-p2

Weā€™re also seeing some I/O errors involving the drive and a Tony Bennet record: System.IO.IOException: Input/output error : '/roon/sys/storage/mounts/Hi_Rez_Seagate_Expansion_Desk_NA8FWS04_D850C80150C7E47A-p2/Hi Rez/# D/b/Tony Bennett/Cheek To Cheek (96-24)'

I know you mentioned youā€™ve checked the drive a few different times at this point, but Iā€™m wondering if running a chkdsk /f or a chkdsk /r to see about repairing the above corruptions.

With that, As a next step, lets have you perform an OS reinstall via Web UI. Iā€™d make sure you have a recent backup available, Iā€™d be curious to see if you run into the same struggles on a fresh database though.

Iā€™ll be standby for your reply :+1:

Thanks for this! One thing of concern here is that all of the files you referenced are on HDs that work perfectly! None of these files reside on the drive that crashes the coreā€¦

Did you see my reply. @benjamin . All of the files you referenced are on drives that work perfectly. Also they were not added to the library. So my guess is that Roon couldnt read them and they werent imported. But that doesnt help the issue. Can you read the logs for the issues with the 16Bit #-F drive???

Iā€™ve seen I/O errors on failing controllers or when drives cannot get enough power. How are these things hooked up? You may be overloading the USBus or need a powered / beefier hub. Testing them individually works fine but putting them back on the failing controller gives errors again.

Ok thats interesting. I have 3 drives connected to a hub that is connected to the NUC.

Not sure if you followed but this worked up to the minute i made the last upgrade

Time kills hardware. Unless Roon made a kernel change (which may change the lower layer drivers) I doubt the upgrade was anything but coincidence.

But, only Roon knows this and its a good data point.