Roon Crashes Immediately on Startup (MB PRO M2, Ventura OS) [Solved]

Hi @David_Loader,

I can confirm that you are correct! Thank you for your input and your help here.

@Maxwell_Gosling. @PHILLIP_CRUMP. @Ben_Chevallier. @SandsOfArrakis.

Updating your core is the fix for this issue. You should be able to navigate to Roon>settings>about from any of your functional remotes and update your core that way.

If unable, please reply with the circumstances and let me know what you experienced.

I would also ask that you indicate whether or not you’re OK with us attempting to flag your cores for updates remotely. If you indicate you are, you will experience an interruption when the update happens.

Thanks,
Wes

I have exactly the same problem. I access Roon from my iOS devices and iMac computers via a Nucleus.

The Roon front pages flashes momentarily and then disappears. I did see a software update indicated, but it is now available for more than a few seconds, so I couldn’t apply it.

Why are Roon Laboratories, makers of this remarkable software, so inaccessible. I have not been able to listen to my music for three days now and this is a service I pay for. Roon sort it out and talk to your customers, please.

Same issue. However, using MacBook Pro M1 as the core. Unable to open IOS on an iphone14plus. Also unable to download update on Core. Message is - There was an error checking for an update. Download starts but doesn’t finish.

UPDATE on Monday 20, Feb: I successfully deleted and DL/updated the core to build 1211. Voila! The Roon remotes facilities are restored. Note: over past days of this issue, the core attempted to update but could not (build 11## something as I recall.).
Thank you Wes and Dave and other members of the community. See prior thread entries for my platform/h-w specifics.

1 Like

Hi @Rob_Lewis1,

You will need to follow the directions to rename the Roon folder (above) and reinstall from Downloads - Roon Labs and this will fix your issues.

This may be due to a firewall setting or a piece of security software. Something you might look into once you get back up and running.

Regards,
Wes

Hi @Thomas_Butler,

I understand that things are frustrating when they don’t work correctly but let’s keep things in perspective. I did in fact post a workaround to get things up and running again and there are relevant communications prior to the comment you made along the same lines. Roon support has not been inaccessible to you.

Please see my prior comments and respond accordingly. I am here to help.

Regards,
Wes

Thank you @Wes - can confirm the update to the core seems to have been at issue. Appreciate your help and persistance in getting to the core of the issue, ha. Everything restored. One question, in regard to core updating - does this usually happen automatically? Is there a way to set this up for the future so that this issue doesn’t occur? Just curious. Either way, thanks again.

1 Like

Hi Wes,
My iPhone & iPad Roon remotes are not functioning, nor is the Roon app on my MacBook pro. Should I do a manual restart/reboot of my Roon Nucleus? And yes, I’m ok to have remote update.
Thanks!
Andy

Hi,

I am not offered an update to 1211 when I access the update settings in a Roon Remote. It does say that an update is required - but to build 1148 (even though I am running 1148). When I try to update it tells me “download failed”.

Happy fo you to push an update to 1211 remotely.

Thanks

Hi @Maxwell_Gosling,

You asked all the right questions.

1. Updating on your own should avoid this.

2. The situation you brought to our attention has identified something that can be fixed in a future update and will be released VERY soon for everyone.

The only possible scenario is that the update won’t happen due to the issue at hand. If that’s the case, we can easily flag the cores for an update manually.

Wes

Hey @Lyndon_Reid,

Are you able to access your ROCK WebUI via its IP or rock.local in a browser? Can you try to reinstall there first? Just the reinstall needs to be tried.

Let me know!
Wes

Hi Wes,

Thanks - finally able to download/install build 1211.

All looks to be running ok now.

Cheers!

2 Likes

This is great to hear, @Lyndon_Reid.

Best wishes,
Wes

Hi @Andy_Mikita,

I am having trouble getting your Nucleus to take the flag. Can you access your Nucleus on your mobile device via a web browser (nucleus.local or 192.168.1.69 in browser) and reinstall the software from there?

Regards,
Wes

Hi Wes,
I’ve attempted the re-install via mobile twice unsuccessfully. I receive “ERROR Something went wrong with the installation. Pls check internet connection and try again”.
Not sure what to do next…
Andy

Tried a 3rd time, this time via iPad. Same Error message.

Hi @Andy_Mikita,

Since my last message to you, it appears your core is offline (last seen a day ago). Can you please verify that the power is on and the network is connected?

If you can’t get it to respond, it may be necessary to connect a monitor or TV to the unit via HDMI and report what you see when you do.

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes,
I’ve re-started the Nucleus & confirmed connections and it is online. I’m prompted with the Choose Your Core page & chosen my Nucleus, to which it says I’m already signed in & to Go Back to select the Core I’ve previously setup. Doing that just brings me back to the login page. The Configure Devices page is done as well. I’m sure now it’s something very simple I’m overlooking. I did manage to get to the System Status page, and selected to reinstall the operating system, which it appeared to do, but then I was prompted with Failed to Load Device State (status:0). I’m currently basically just stuck on the Choose your Core page, but at least you should be able to access it now hopefully. Thanks for the help here! Andy

Hi @Andy_Mikita,

That is good. I too see your device online now.

I have done some research on this and I believe that either the RAM or the SSD at fault. Can you do us a favor and connect the Nucleus to a monitor or TV via HDMI? I would like to see pictures of the screens you see throughout the booting process to help narrow down the issue. While I do suspect it’s the SSD based on the diagnostics logging I see, I want to be sure.

Please note, I will also send you a private message to request some additional information.

Thanks,
Wes

So I’ve managed to get it back up and running, but with only about half of my library. There is also an alert showing that Metadata improver has paused & to check network & if running current version, which i am.