Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

Hi,
Does RHEOS (or Extension Manager used solely for RHEOS) store any logs or other stuff that could be purged?

My 16GB SD card in Raspberry got 100% of /dev/root (mounted as /) filled. Any idea what could be safely deleted there?

dietpi@rooExtend:~$ sudo du -xh / | grep -P “G\t”
11G /mnt/dietpi_userdata/docker-data/overlay2
11G /mnt/dietpi_userdata/docker-data
11G /mnt/dietpi_userdata
11G /mnt
1.6G /usr/lib
3.0G /usr
15G /

Can that be a side effect of Extension Manager updates?

The logs are managed automatically. Not seen a report of this type before.
Have you tried removing and then reinstalling the extension? This would delete any log files.

Thanks Peter for answer

All of that space was occupied by unused docker images. I removed them with docker command.
I suppose that Extension Manager may have been leaving them after consecutive updates but might be wrong also.

1 Like

Might be worth sharing here https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-extension-manager-1-x-currently-at-v1-1-2/161624as I’m not sure how extension manager handles this.

@peter_richardson So Denon just announced “Roon Ready” for a few devices. The Home speakers seem to be be roon ready but not the AVRs or the 40n. Hopefully more coming… anyone else know anything? I’m also trying to see if this has any impact on RHEOS.

A few other threads where we are discussing this.

I’m testing and making a couple of adjustments to RHEOS.

Have been waiting for this for a long time!

Yes, I’ve checked them out. In the meantime, underwhelmed, but enjoying RHEOS! Thanks Peter for all you do my friend!

I’m getting a strange issue with RHEOS (which I’ve only recently set up). I have a Denon HEOS AVR (firmware v3.34.240) which is primarily used for PC audio and TV audio (via ARC), rarely if ever used for HEOS streaming.

Ever since installing RHEOS on the network (on dietPi), if I try to listen to TV or PC sound (selected via the HEOS app) on the AVR, it will play for a few seconds and then go silent. If I select the input again it will play for a couple more seconds and then stop again.

However if I stop the RHEOS service in the Roon extension manager then the AVR/HEOS app returns to normal behaviour.

I’m using RHEOS v 0.9.5-2 and have six HEOS devices in total (including the AVR) on the network.

Any thoughts on how I can get the two use cases to co-exist?

Thank yo for the feedback.

This must be frustrating. I’m not sure what the issue is but please try turning off “2-way control” and “AVR zone control” in the extension settings and let me know if this persists.

I am about to release a next version which may address this and allow 2-way control, if I am correct in what I believe may be the cause (one other user reported an interaction with their TV on/off when using a Marantz N40.)

The 2 way control is a bit problematic its decided without me touching Roon to switch to HEOS and start playing from where Roon was paused. Upset my Son a few times as he could not work out what was going on as he was watching TV.

@peter_richardson - not piling on but I have issues where sometimes i cannot seem to gain back control of the avr and soundbar - given i tinker all the time and now have rooDial and rooMax running too, I figured its just me always playing around… today i turned off 2-way control and will monitor if the problem goes away -

I uploaded a new test version that aims to address this amongst other things.

I am away this weekend but you could see if this works in your set up.
However for me it’s not connecting to players from the docker image. Work to do.

Have you tried turning off 2 way control?

No as I like my remote too much

weird, just tested it, and as you noted rheos settings finds the devices but will not expose them as an Audio device …hmm… port or protocol change?

reverting back to :latest

interesting new settings you have there, Peter, cannot wait :slight_smile:

PSS - I have DENON 150’s scattered thru the home for hallways etc - they show up as Roon Ready now but not the AVRs :frowning:

Ok - I hope the new version will address this.

Just working on file permissions in the new container and broader testing over the next week or so.

Thanks for confirming - it’s weird (so I learn from this :wink:)

Will let you know when I next post to the test …

For those of you who are kind enough to help me with final testing I have updated a new version 0.10.0-1 to GitHub and as a new image in Docker tagged as “test”.

This has been a while coming, as I have modified some of the basic code in squeeze2upnp to better interact with HEOS players directly rather than through a squeezeplayer interface. I still rely on the server from ROON and emulate squeeze devices but more direct control of players is now possible and should address some of the remaining small bugs that have been reported.

A major area of improvement is in 2-way control of HEOS devices and (hopefully) resolving some of the reported interactions with airplay and other devices This also allows coexistence of the same device as “ROON ready” and as a RHEOS player.

As part of this I have been able to now enable metadata and album art to be shown on the HEOS app (and hence on any screen devices connected to a HEOS AVR) and full metadata to be visible on devices with screens (3 line Denon AVR or the classic Marantz porthole). I find this much better than the generic “Streaming from LMS” which would be shown with flow control off and Metadata on in previous versions. It also enable a progress indicator to be shown.

Please not selecting “next track” from HEOS is not yet possible and the >> button is blanked. Play, pause works as expected using the HEOS app or a device ir remotl.

A challenge that remains is that to enable “gapless” playback (or as near to that as I can achieve) for appropriate albums I cant reflect up to date metadata etc. Hence I have introduced the opportunity for each player display to be configured as “off”, “flow mode”, “metadata” or “metadata and album art”.

Flow mode should show the “RHEOS” and the name of the device and allow gapless.

I have not yet compiled for arm based devices (and will be testing on raspberry pi 3 and 4 in the near future) so this has been on my LInux Ubuntu set up - I’ll be interested on how this works on other systems.

Under the hood there have been some areas of new and refactored code which seems to increase stability and performance overall.

Please remember that this is a Beta and in test mode. You should be able to revert to the stable version if using Docker and save your old version if you have been enabling from Git as I have rebase and 0.9 x will not be available.

A new latest version will follow in the next days or weeks depending on how feedback goes on this. Until then, roon extension manager version remains unchanged.

2 Likes

Album art is not working from the Docker image when I download. I will need to open ports in the docker image.

I installed the new :test image in docker

• runs very fast
  • seems much more stable
  • Changed my HEOS5 to ‘meta and album art’
    • its SHOWING data and album in HEOS :slight_smile:

NOTE: I have your image in a macvlan with a native IP address vs a bridge which would account for ports not being an issue

• transferring music between devices is notably faster…