Roon loses connection to my Synology NAS since updating to Build 667

Hello @ronfint,

The investigation is still ongoing, we are gathering similar reports and looking for patterns to identify the root cause, thank you for your patience here.

One idea which comes to mind - is there any change in behavior if you move the music files and backup location to a subfolder on the NAS (instead of having them at the root)?

Thanks, @noris The backup locations are usb thumb drives ā€“ not on the nas. They have become completely full since trying to back up after upgrading to 667, and when trying to back up to them they give a ā€œDisk Fullā€ error. I have been able to copy /var/roon/RoonServer to a thumb drive to serve as temporary backup.

Also daily I get situations where there is a loss of connection of roon to my nas. Shutting down and restarting roon on the core usually fixes that temporarily. Sometimes I need to reboot the core.

About moving my music files ā€“ Iā€™m not willing to do that. The music storage is almost 9tb, and Iā€™d rather not mess with it.There were certainly no problems with Build 610.

Hi @ronfint,

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that our QA team has is doing some in-house testing on this. I canā€™t provide any specific timelines just yet, but as soon as the QA team has an update for us weā€™ll be sure to reach out. This is a high priority issue for us, and you have our apologies for the ongoing troubles here. Weā€™ll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

@dylan

Itā€™s now been 23 days since I first reported this problem. I have dropouts several times a day and have to restart my core computer to get roon working. Iā€™m unable to make a backup via roon. And there has been no solution.

@dylan

For a short period of time, I had this fixed. I reinstalled AudioLinux. It took me a bit more than two hours ā€“ but the version of Roon that came with it was Build 610. Everything was great and I was happy, UNTIL Roon updated itself. Now Iā€™m back in the mire.

Iā€™ve now disabled automatic updates, but it will cost me another two plus hours to do this all over again. Maybe Iā€™ll have time on Saturday, or perhaps QA will solve this problem.

@dylan

Here is a further update. I have changed my Linux kernel to LTS 5.4.x. This has helped with the issue of losing access to my Synology NAS. I havenā€™t yet tried to back up; so I donā€™t know about that problem.

However, there is a new issue: I have a constantly spinning wheel for adding music. This is a problem of many others and I have read their posts. The answer seems to be to use NFS rather than CIFS shares. I would like to try this, but my NAS will not accept an NFS connection from my AudioLinux machine, in spite of adjusting the Synology NFS permissions to allow it.

Is there any other way to stop the spinning wheel?

Thanks.

@support

I have finally rid myself of this problem. Iā€™m back on Linux firmware 5.9.x and Roon still has a problem with losing connection to my nas, but ā€” this is only with cifs/smb. I finally figured out how to connect to my Synology DiskStation using nfs (see https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/File_Sharing/How_to_access_files_on_Synology_NAS_within_the_local_network_NFS ). Once I did this and pointed Roon to the nfs mount of my music folder, all my problems with Build 667 disappeared.

Those who are interested in doing this might want to check out the thread https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-stuck-on-scanning-now/124950. I would like to thank @Darryl_Caillouet and @mavmcl who first offered this solution to the problems caused by Build 667.

As they point out in the thread quoted above, it appears that Build 667 has introduced problems with cifs/smb. I hope that these will be fixed in the next build.

@ronfint, Youā€™re more than welcome! 2020 has been scary so Iā€™m trying to stockpile as much good karma as possibleā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.