Roon Mac Remote - Audio Devices Missing

@support Are there any other steps than what’s mentioned above to delete Roon (on Mac) if I want to start completely fresh?

I have a persistant issue with my Roon.app (used as a remote to control a Core on another Mac) that I only have on one computer with one user. If I set up a new user on the same computer and install Roon, the issue is gone.

Specifically, when I open Roon on the remote computer, I see the core’s audio devices in the audio settings under “This Mac”. The remote’s audio devices don’t appear, and I cannot add them as outputs.

Hi @naepflin,

To install Roon fresh, you can set the database aside:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

I’ve already tried that, and also removed and reinstalled Roon. Somehow Roon seems not to recognize this Roon remote installation as a remote, confusing it with the core. To illustrate, here a few screenshots of the different devices:

Here’s how the audio settings look on the core (Macbook 11"):

Here’s how the audio settings look on the remote (Macbook Pro), when I create a new computer user account and set up Roon from scratch:

And here’s how it looks like on the same remote (Macbook Pro), but with my primary user account. Notice the “this mac” section shows the core’s audio outputs, and the remote’s outputs don’t show up. Note that I just did a clean re-install of the remote Roon as described above.

Hi @naepflin,

I would try clearing out your RAATServer folder for this remote as well:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Removing the folder didn’t solve my issue, but I probably found what causes it: in the RAATServer logs, the machine ID of my remote is the same as the machine ID of my core. (Probably because I initially set up the new Mac based on a backup of the old one.)

I found another thread about a similar issue (see Problem Running Roon Remote on MacBook Pro). They didn’t find an answer that didn’t require a complete OS re-install though.

So the challenge is changing the machine ID without having to re-install the underlying OS, possibly by changing some variables in the OS. Is this possible? It would be helpful to know exactly how the machine_id is determined?

A post was split to a new topic: Core and Remote have same machine_id

Strangely, I do get a new machine_id if I create a new user. Creating a new user is not a viable solution for my remote computer though, as I’d need to configure all my settings again. Possibly, I could do this on the core, as it pretty much only runs Roon.

Hi @naepflin,

Thank you for the additional details. Can I please request that you send me the Roon logs from both your Core and your Remote? I’d like to get these over to QA as to properly advise next steps, you can access your logs by using these instructions, please send the logs from both Core and Remote via Dropbox / Google Drive, and if you don’t have either upload service just let me know and I can provide an alternate destination.

Hello @naepflin,

I have spoken to the QA team and we have a few questions, can you please let me know:

1. Have you previously used Time Machine backups to restore the Roon database at any point in time?
  2. Do any of your Macs affected by this issue have a Touchbar?
  3. Are you using just one network interface on both of the machines or do you have multiple active?
  4. Can you open Terminal on both Macs and type in ifconfig and share a screenshot of the output from both (please label which one is the Core and which one is the Remote).
  1. Yes
  2. Yes, the remote. The core does not.
  3. There are some other network interfaces in the network settings, but only Wi-Fi is active (= shows up as green in the network settings)
  4. See here: [ifconfig output hidden by support for privacy]
1 Like

Hi @naepflin,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

You should be aware that we have seen quite a few issues when users restore Roon backups from Time Machine and as such we explicitly recommend against using Time machine backups with Roon, as mentioned at the end of our Backup Documentation.

I will send you via private message a further troubleshooting technique that we can try.

Issue has been resolved via private message.

If anyone following this thread is experiencing similar behavior, please open a separate thread and flag @support, thanks!

Hello @naepflin,

I wanted to reach out and let you know that we released Roon 1.7 Build 571, which includes some improvements that we believe should help here. Please give the update a try and let us know if it helps!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
Roon Support