Roon Nucleus to 2 location

I have the Nucleus feeding a room ready DAC via USB and then it feeds my amp. I primarily use Tidal and wanted the ability to unfold MQA files in their entirety. It works great. Now, I also have a Yamaha 3070 receiver in a different room of the house that I would like the same ability. Do I need to run a USB from the second USB connection on the Nucleus to a roon ready Streamer and DAC at the second location? This would require a very long USB. Shouldn’t this be possible over my Ethernet network?

Hi @Mark81,

I definitely recommend you check out our MQA documentation.

It doesn’t look like this device has MQA capabilities so it won’t be able to be used as an MQA renderer.

I know. Please see my question.

Hi @Mark81,

You can use a RoonReady DAC that has MQA support over the network instead of playing directly to the Yamaha. You could also use a USB connected DAC, but since it’s quite a long distance, a networked DAC sounds like it would be best for your setup.

Thanks. Now, do you know of an Ethernet DAC that is Roon Ready? From what I can find, it looks like I would need to get both a streamer + DAC as I can’t find a DAC that has an Ethernet connection.

Ethernet implies streaming (if we disregard esoteric protocols like Dante for the moment). If you find a DAC with an Ethernet port, then I’d bet you it’s actually a streamer - with additional inputs so you can use the device as just a DAC…

Check out the Roon Ready network players section of the Roon Partners page.

Totally agree, but do you know of any?

Auralic Aries Mini, for example. Also Auralic Vega G1 and G2; likely some of the Lumin and Aurender streamers (if they have DAC inputs and analog outs). Loads more…

or you can go with a microRendu (ethernet to USB bridge) and plug it into any MQA DAC with a USB input.

Now we’re talking!

The following Lumin network music players have Roon Ready Ethernet input, and fully decode MQA to analog outputs (XLR and RCA): X1, S1, T2, D2. T2 is the latest model, and D2 is our entry-level model.

An XLR connection from the Lumin to the analog balanced input 4 of the Yamaha A3070 is recommended. For full benefits of MQA playback, turn the Yamaha to Pure Direct mode.

I would love to get a LUMIN,but my days of spending a fortune on anything where the technology changes every 6 months is over. I’m trying to find something sub $1000.

Will the NAD C658 unfold MQA files fully if connected by Ethernet to my NAS where my Roon Core resides?

If you use their BlueOS software than yes. As of now, that hardware is not yet but is in the process of being Roon Certified.

See: