Roon Remote iOS/Android Freeze with "Waiting for RoonServer" After Inactivity [Investigating]

Dear Noris

I am an Italian music journalist and I work with Roon to play music.
The reported problem is limiting and delaying me heavily in the search for titles or artists (today related to the Grammy 2024) and I have to continually open and close the application. Can you help me?

Having the exact same problem it has been going on for a few weeks now

So if the phone or tablet “Apple” has gone into screensaver mode, the app becomes completely unusable until you restart it.

1 Like

Hi @Thorsten_Heinrich, @Ronny_Stratling,

We have an open investigation into the symptoms you’ve reported here: Roon Remote iOS/Android Freeze with "Waiting for RoonServer" After Inactivity [Investigating]

I’ll merge these posts momentarily so you can receive notifications concerning this issue.

1 Like

I ve got the same problem. After a while (using other apps, leaving roon in the background, opening the app again/ leaving the phone falling asleep - wake it up again) app freezes and only a full closing of the app, and manual restart gets it working again. It happens with my iPhone 14 Pro iOS 17.2.1 and also on my iPhone 13pro, iOS 17.2.1.

1 Like

Don’t know it’s the same but my Roon remote freezes for a few months now after inactivity on my Pixel 7, running Android 14. No message, just freezes on this screen where also albums show 0.

1 Like

This behaviour of Roon Remote also brought back another annoying issue which was reported some time ago. This happened to me on the latest build and the build before the current one. The only solution is to reinstall Roon Remote, but that involves a manual and time consuming adjustment of all my settings, like play actions, metadata preferences and bookmark order.
The issue: clicking all the way back to the first page in Roon Remote doesn’t give me the home page, but the play queue.
It was fixed long time ago, but this devil is back.

1 Like

Same here but on a Pixel 8 Pro.

I am experiencing the same issues.
Using Android on Samsung 21 and oppo pad (tablet).

Forgot to mention: The remote app running on Chrome OS works fine.

After turning off the screen of my iPad, even for just a few seconds, Roon Remote also seems to have forgotten the postion of the former screen. Say you were browsing through a large list of albums and selected an album to play a track from. After turning off the iPad screen and putting it on again, hitting the back key (from an album detail page to the album list), the album list is back at the top again, and not at the position is was in before slecting the album.

It’s the same as this old annoying behaviour:

I Have had the same problem, with ipad, Android Phone, Windows computer.

This weekend i did a new account and installed roon server again. Not on The same computer as my regular server.

And now everything works perfect!

Last weekend i did try a reinstall of my regular roon server and restored to backup that didnt help.

So something must be wrong with old systems that have got updates and something is stored in the registry.
Or is being restored with backup.

Roon now has 13days to fix this or they can give me a new lifetime licensđŸ€Ș and replicate all my roon playlists

But nobody from Roon support give us a solution after many days
. Why?

I have had this issue almost every day for what feels like forever, however I was not aware of the suspected issue with keeping text in the filter box. Turns out I actually had something written in several of them. Cleaned them out, and so far so good. Still since it happened sporadically before, I can’t yet say the issue is gone for good for me.

1 Like

@Martin_Friberg

Was the text you found on one device or several?

In case you didn’t click through to the thread that was linked further up, there seem to be two issues (the one with the filter box and a possibly related one that, however, doesn’t include the filter), and they are now being tracked separately. This post explains it all:

And relief might be closer:

I read it. It was in this thread I got the suggestion, but never saw the OP (and others) respond if they actually double-checked this. So thought I would share my seemingly positive experience.

I was sure my issue was different, as I can’t remember me ever leaving anything in the filters

1 Like

This is embarrassing.
Using ROON is becoming a pain. From being a market-leading service to unusable for apple products

Where is the support???
it doesn’t help to send newsletters about how good everything is when the product is unusable

Please solve this problem now so we can move on

Two posts up is all the info
It’s not unusable on Apple products as I use it every day.

MR. Suedkiez
You can have different opinions about how things should work.
But I don’t have a working ROON with Apple products.
Glad that it works for you

The remote clearly does not work in specific situations like if you keep text in the filter box and the device goes to sleep. (It sounds the work after restarting the remote). This is not good and should be fixed - and it is in progress. The support for this is in the post that I had linked a few posts above yours.

And maybe you experience a different issue, in which case it would be best if you create a new topic for your issue in Support.

However, it is also a fact that it is not generally „unusable for Apple products“ because I and many others use it every day.