Roon search extremely slow - how to fix it? BUILD 1353

I have been using:

for a long time and works well for me.

Torben

I updated also towards static IP and Cloudflare DNS setting in my Nucelus and indeed, it seems that everything got speed-up. Let’s see, how snappy Roon will be after a day or so (I rebooted the core after the applied changes). Typically, after a reboot the system was faster in the first hours. Will report back.

1 Like

You can aslo set DNS for ROCK this way

When noticing the drop from 40+ seconds to 7 when loading the Genres screen, I hadn’t rebooted at that point. I have rebooted now but only once I stopped mucking around. Fingers crossed it stays like it is at the moment :grinning:

Anyone with Ubiquiti UniFi shouldn’t be tempted to turn on “DNS Shield” as this prevents the “New Releases, Albums & Singles” from showing up. It encrypts traffic and must interfere with Roons ability to determine which region your in… or something like that. If I could set it up while entering the Roon Server to bypass it (white list) it would be great but no white list for this new feature as yet so best to avoid.

Very interesting. Each of these activities on my system is virtually instantaneous (e.g., switch to Genres screen, loads before I can blink, etc.).

Perhaps my ISP just has really good DNS :wink: but I’m giving the Cloudflare settings a try - thanks for providing.

1 Like

I also think there will be variations in performance depending on the server you’re connecting to, which country, routing and whether there are any issues over the linking networks.

But with Virgin Media DNS 45 seconds to load a screen was not acceptable at all! I can live with the 3-6 seconds but would much prefer the instantaneous option :grinning:

This discussion of the impact of the chosen DNS server is interesting.

I am one of the lucky ones that has never had performance issues with Roon.

But, maybe it was, in part at least, because long before I started using Roon I had changed my Router to use the google DNS servers.

1 Like

Indeed. One of my measures of countering sluggishness was to move to another ISP, from very unreliable to best-in-class as of April last year. I have also been exchanging the server and optimizing my library at the same time, so I cannot specify which impact the internet quality had alone. But I remember it did something.

ISP is another interesting variable. Just before I started using Roon, I changed from using Virgin Media cable service in the UK (using a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem) to a BT FTTP service.

What I found was that, even though the headline speed of my internet service ware reduced from 1Gbps to 500Mbps, most internet related activities actually got quicker.

The reason for this was that ‘ping’ times to the ISP servers fell from 20-25ms (on the VM DOCSIC service) to just 5ms (On the BT FTTP service). This drop in ping times makes a very significant difference on ‘chatty’ protocols where a reply to one message must be received before the next message can be sent.

Maybe this also has a significant impact on Roon search. It would have been interesting to compare Roon performance before and after the change of internet service. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.

2 Likes

There are many variables… but no excuses :wink:

4 Likes

I am one of the lucky ones that has never YET had performance issues with Roon.

There I fixed it for you :face_with_peeking_eye::grin:

5 Likes

Sounds like a very good explanation for what is happening. I had similar experience with cable modems as the upstream being especially the weak spot. Not just bad ping time up but also completely unpredictable upload speed and delays occurring. So I moved to fibre and everything was more instantaneous.

From how I understand roon´s search algorithm and method to compile lists and pages, there is a lot of communication between the core and cloud servers involved to mix and compare results and calculate relevancy. If every little package of data is delayed by 25ms and the number of packages running up and down is increasing exponentially with library size, unidentified tracks and interdependencies, I can imagine what is happening.

I don’t know whether or not it is a factor - but it could be.

However, from posts on this thread and others, it is almost certain that there are other things going on as well.

I dunno. I have (with a cable router) ~20 ms ping times and never a problem with Roon search, responsiveness, view build times, etc.

Virgin is noted for its latency. I don’t have any choice unless I want to go back to ADSL no other fibre service in my area. I’ve never used their routers for as such only in modern mode and use my own router and WiFi stuff always used Google dns or Cloudflare. I don’t believe for a minute search’s failure such as the constant issue with the the, when it finds everything else quickly has anything to do with isps or local server hardware.

I never used the VM Hub for routing either. I used it in Modem only mode and connected it to the WAN port of the ASUS router that I still use.

When I moved from VM to BT, this had another advantage. All I had to do was connect the ASUS router to the ONT ethernet adaptor and then change the WAN settings on my router to use PPPoE to establish the connection. All other settings - WiFi, Forwarding Rules etc remained unchanged.

Exactly, the latency issue isn’t helping but Roon certainly has its own issues as was highlighted with the memory leak issue recently.

Also, going back to the “Black Box” comments. Surely Roon should be doing more in terms of providing network, server monitoring stats. Ubiquiti UniFi provides simple monitoring on the home page. Something like that in settings would help users to understand what’s going on… especially as Roon are making the software more dependent on cloud services!

And… something that would help a user know how much of the system resources Roon is using! It would help to gauge whether an increase in RAM is needed… or, an improved CPU.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

This thread has festered without a staff response, and for that, we apologize.

The 703 posts in this thread include a wide range of technical reports and feedback, none of which we’ve overlooked. However, we do need to sift opinions and feedback from technical reports to leverage any of the above into actionable steps for our developers.

Some of you have already started other Roon support threads to address your report directly. @Duncan_Andison, we are investigating your reports here, for instance.

If you have not started a dedicated topic thread for your issue and have only posted here, please start a dedicated topic thread now so we can more easily track variable technical details about network topology, your Roon library, etc.

1) If you are experiencing slowness or performance issues after searching in Roon:

• There was an issue causing certain search queries to erroneously return a “Can’t Connect to Search” error in results. This has been resolved (see here).
  • Users who reported slowness around “wildcard” or “catch-all” queries such as “the the” should see development’s comment here.
  • Please note we are continually working on improving the search service and server-side improvements often merge between updates. If you are experiencing any issues with search, please comment as appropriate on a thread above or begin your dedicated topic thread. This thread has far outlived its utility in generating actionable content for QA or technical support.

2) If you are experiencing unexplained performance decline outside of just the search service:

• Roon is investigating performance decline for large Roon libraries with unique subdirectory taxonomy or a high percentage of content unidentified by Roon’s audio analysis service.

Regardless of whether you feel the above vague descriptors fit your own library, if you are encountering performance decline and do not have an active technical support thread, please start one.

We will be closing this thread shortly. If you have any feedback or thoughts, we welcome it in Roon Software Discussion or in Feedback. We will continue our investigation actively in dedicated threads, either individually or by-issue as appropriate.

9 Likes