Roon Server on Synology DSM 7 Situation

You may have to wait until it gets fixed:

Note: Roon on NAS for DSM 7 is still in beta.

2 Likes

So it sounds like for now, it would be better to stick with DSM 6.2 until Chris figures out a solution to the permissions limitation?

1 Like

Are there any updates to supporting locally connected USB audio devices (e.g. USB DACs)? Is this something we should not even hope for anymore given the release notes from Synology (see Release Notes for DSM | Synology Incorporated): ā€œUSB devices (Wi-Fi dongle, Bluetooth dongle, 3G/4G dongle, USB DAC/speaker, and DTV dongle) are no longer supportedā€

Thanks, Martin

Synology has clearly stated that USB audio devices will not be supported under DSM 7, despite numerous requests from existing users.

Downloaded latest Beta version for DSM7 from @crieke to a Synology 916+. Simple and straightforward. Only had to uninstall the DSM6 version. All devices can see the Core now and happily playing noise again. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Thanks to @crieke again. Thank you very much! Have Roon working perfectly on DSM 7. You are a star!

Help Please! First of all, many thanks to the developer for working on the Synology DSM package ā€“ I really appreciate it. However, once installed (pointing to the previous database from DSM6 on my NAS drive) and running the server, I encounter the following issue:

1. The Roon app recognizes my Roon core, and offers to connect. I proceed;
  2. I am requested to log in. I do that; the you are already signed in page appears and I ā€œgo backā€ to use the previously set up core;
  3. the Roon search sign appears and continues to appear for a very long time. After around 10min, the message ā€œthere was an issue loading your databaseā€ appears.
    Anybody knows what to do? All permission should be set correctly. Thanks, guys

5 posts were split to a new topic: Roon Server not starting (DSM7)

Just as a piece of recommendation. I highly advise on running Roon via the Docker image in any amd64 Synology NAS :slight_smile: Iā€™ve been having great results, it is way more stable than the Package Manager distro.

4 Likes

Ditto - the same at my place.

is it easy to install it ? I never used Docker before, super noob here !!

1 Like

see above post, and this link:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/walkthrough-roon-in-a-docker-container-on-synology-dsm-7/164969

Me neither; just follow the instructions and youā€™ll be done in 5 mins.

Thanks, Iā€™ll have a look over the weekend if I have the time. :slight_smile:

Finally upgraded my NAS (DS3018xs) to DSM7
Uploaded few albums. Some albums are automatically imported some not

Is there any changelog for the DSM7_x86-64_20211105 release somewhere?
Sorry if I missed it.

Cc: @crieke

@CvK, see on this page

1 Like

Iā€™ve totally missed it! Navigated directly to the Synology section from the top bar and missed it,
Thank you!

Synology DSM7: Roon 1.8 working but no speaker grouping or backups.
Anyone tried Speaker grouping? When I try (Sonos Port and IKEA Symfonisk) both audio zones disappear until I reboot.

Since the recent DSM7 update I have a strange phenomenon: Roon does not work reactively anymore. After every change of a music file in the directory one must explicitly trigger a scan of the library. If an album is removed from the music directory, the whole library has to be scanned again and the library has to be cleaned up. No change will be detected at any user interface before those explicit actions.
Has anyone else observed this before?
Platform is Synology DS918+.

1 Like