Roon stopping randomly

hello chris @crieke,
thank you very much for your help!

I have installed just what I need: Roon and Minim-Server (and JRE) - everything else is stopped:

there are some backup jobs, but they run after midday and therefore shouldn’t interfere with the playback:

Is ROONDB your share folder for Roon Server’s database?

Could you try to pause all backup jobs for testing purpose for a day or two, to check if these trigger something? (even though the scheduled time of the jobs does not fit to the cpu spikes…)

hello @crieke and @noris,
thank you for your assistance!
I will be away for one week (skiing) and will try your suggestions after return, then I will report back about the results
Cheers
Frank

1 Like

I had an annoying experience similar to how you describe this during the holiday season. For me it was after an update to the latest firmware from Netgear. I tried everything I could think of, and I’m quite confident around network setups, but nothing worked.

This affected Roon but also Airplay. Dropouts every 5-30 minutes.

I downgraded the firmware to the second latest but it didn’t solve anything. I ended up downgrading firmware to a version from May 2018 and suddenly all my problems where gone and everything back to normal.

I also found similar problems from other users with these latest Netgear firmwares. Maybe your router has similar issues with streaming and handeling of more timing sensitive data?

No dropouts with any kind of real-time transmission:

• I can stream Amazon Prime Videos without any problems
  • I can stream to my Linn streamer without any dropouts as long I use the Minim Server (controlled by Kinsky or Kazoo from Linn) and UPnP as protocol
  • I could stream Roon without any problems as long as I was using the Sonore UPnP bridge (sold in the meantime)

When I moved to the native protocol between Roon an LINN the dropouts started …

yes

I have disabled all scheduled backups, will report back if the dropouts disappeared:

1 Like

I could also stream 4K without any problems as long as it was streamed without sending the sound from Apple TV to Aries G2 over AirPlay. Same with streaming Tidal without using Roon. No problems what so ever. The only time drop out happened was over Airplay (sound) and Roon. My only issues were local with audio, that was the big frustration.

Hope you solve it!

Hello @crieke and @noris,
yesterday (Friday) 10:24 pm CET I had one more drop out; all the backup jobs on may QNAP are still disabled; the CPUs once again “went mad”, as you can see: different CPUs were 100% one after the other for several minutes

Any ideas what to do?
Thx in advance!
Frank

two more crashes today: Sunday, 20th of January, 10:20 and 10:26 am CET when playing the same track (played the same track 1 h later - no crash)
Cheers
Frank

I’ve sent you a PM yesterday.

one more crash: Tuesday, 22nd of January, 09:48 pm CET … just after installing 1.6 …and one more crash at 10:04 pm CET … and one more crash at 10:38 pm CET … :slightly_frowning_face:

A post was split to a new topic: Dropouts with Linn DSM

Hello,

following the tries with @crieke (once again thank you very much) to fix that I moved libraries and meta data databases back and forth and ended up with a system which was more crashing than anything else :astonished:
due to this I “reorganized and cleaned” my library (there is a function in Roon to eliminate problems, remove redundant elements - don’t recall the exact name of this function as I am not at home) and it fixed 99% of my crashes; therefore I assume that my meta data and my library became out of sync and in my case this was the reason for most of my crashes; now it is running rather well (only every 10 hours listening a crash)

Regards
Frank

ok, but nothing regarding the occasional dropouts?

Set the focus to Genre “Classical”, then right clicked all albums and started an export; after some time the export crashed; redefined the export and Roon started again; Roon crashed again, this time earlier, did the same procedure serveral times; now my core is in a configuration that it crashes just when selecting an album - right 30 sec after using it; PLEASE help

@support: when exporting my Roon server craches latest after some 100 tracks (often earlier), restarting the exports creates many duplicate exported albums (with “(2)” at the end of the album name) in the file system, starting to hear music in parallel to exporting causes a crash immediately, really boring and cumbersome to restart again and manually delete all the duplicates, … WHAT CAN I DO?

I have the latest roon server1.6 (build 416) running on a QNAP TVS 671 with latest QTS 4.4.1.1101

Where can I upload the log files that I have exported to be analyzed?

Hi @fschmeis,

Can you please note the exact local time + date when this behavior next occurs and upload the log files to Dropbox / Google Drive and send them over to me?

Hi @noris ,

Yesterday, 15th of November, local time:

• 22:16
  • 22:23
  • 22:29
  • 22:35
  • 22:41
  • 22:46
  • 22:51

Always the same procedure: Was playing music, suddenly the music stops and the Roon control app on the iPAD doesn’t show anything besides the Roon symbol, one core (out of four) on my QNAP goes up to 99% CPU, it takes appr. 3 minutes until the control app shows my library again, I restarted playing music, after some minutes same crash of Roon server again … :frowning:

This is the used version (multimedia functions are disabled):

Not much free space (4%). Your system may just run out of free space and crash.

1 Like

thx for the hint, but: don’t worry, still 365 GByte left:
grafik