Roon User Interface unusably slow with delays of >30sec

Roon Core Machine

QNAP TS-1277 with AMD Ryzen7 1700 Eight core processor up to 3000MHz (8 cores, 16 threads), 48GB
QTS 5.0.1.2277
Core: v2.0 build1234, Remote: Roon v2.0 build 1219
Storage: 3x10TB WD Gold in Raid5 in auto tiering with 2x Samsung 970 EVO SSD in Raid1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

No VPN is used. The core is on wired 1Gbps Ethernet.
Fiber 1Gbps connection to the internet.
PFSense firewall, 1Gbps managed switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Devices: HQPlayer, DIYINHK DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

250,000 tracks, Tidal service is used.

Description of Issue

I have been using Roon for about 4 years glitch free. Since January 7 2023 the user experience regarding interaction speed became unbearably slow.
Reproduction steps
A.,

1. Home > New Releases for you > Classical > select an album and add it to the library.
  2. Click another album to list its tracks
  3. Observe huge unwanted delay until the tracks load

B.

1. Your Recent Artists > Jordi Savall > Discography > Click an album
  2. Observe the message: “Loading album” and wait 10 sec… to 30sec until the tracks load.

Please advice for problem resolution.
Shall I issue also a ticket?

The Support category is already the place for raising issues to Roon support. Most likely fellow users will have ideas before official support works their way through to you :slight_smile:

This is the response from the official “support”:

Thank you for emailing us directly with the information you posted in a topic on our community website.

By posting on community about a technical issue you’ve done the best thing to get the help you need. This is because the Roon technical team operates exclusively in the Support category and they are the experts who can help.

When you email us, you reach the accounts & billing team, so, in this regard, there isn’t a lot we can do. Is there anything about your account that we can help with?

Yeah like I said. It will just take more than a day until they work their way to you. To manage expectations, probably several days. It’s not ideal but as you had the issue for 2 months, maybe not the end of the world :slight_smile:

Similar behavior had been mentioned already in 2020:

and here with sporadic nature:

Obviously very wise architecture decisions behind…

Anything that involves cloud services can of course be subject to server-side changes that come and go. But usually this affects many/all users

Really?
Even in case of server side changes, I cannot emphasize well enough the importance of Software testing - Wikipedia

Well even with testing there can be a slowdown for any number of reasons

Then it’s a banana product. It will get ripe at the customer.

As not everyone seems to have been affected, or there would usually be more complaints, I don’t know

Already tried the usual suspects such as clean-up the library and reboot the core and end-point?

Yes, it seems that the product does not scale well and the performance flaw affects especially users with large collections.
So a testing scenario and architecture considering the potential slow-down reasons you mentioned could make sense.
And using a systematic problem solving methodology, e.g. Eight disciplines problem solving - Wikipedia

Also designing the user interface for the maximum bearable delay. Has been about the same for thirty years: Response Time Limits: Article by Jakob Nielsen

Hey @Laszlo_Cser,

Thanks for your patience while our team navigates through each thread. Following up on this issue, we’d be curious to see how things perform if:

1. you temporarily disable your firewall
  2. you temporarily hardwire your core directly to your router, bypassing your managed switch
  3. disable HQplayer and test performance

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

1 Like

Yes, I have done that. Nevertheless thanks for the hint.

I have had exactly similar issues with my Roon service since the updates this year. It’s been quite frustrating and I have been hoping the new updates will have resolved the speed issues.
Thanks for bringing these up.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.