The moderators are just doing their jobs...but

Sometimes the moderation is just a little silly. This GoldenSound MQA thread - 300 posts, various discussions going on, and the mods stepped in because there were a few posts that, oh, the horror, were a little humorous.

Wouldn’t it be better if the humor could stay and lighten the mood? In regards to the thread on there being a lot of umbrage in the forum, one way to defuse tension is with humor.

The no-fun-league rules here are a bit over the top. I agree that some threads have so much value they should be kept on a single topic. But MQA threads? After 300 posts?

You want some community spirit? Then let the community build it!

EDIT: the mods are some of the best posters here. And they do all this for free, I think. So no disrespect to the mods is intended. But if there is going to be a lot of censorship on this forum, you’re going to push away a lot of folks who could set the tone and create the spirit that has been lacking here.

5 Likes

There are obviously a lot of reasons for the Mods to step in and intervene and after exiting that particular thread quite some time ago I don’t know what it degenerated into …but…

Good intelligent humour is healthy.

I have criticized the over heavy moderation previously for what I saw as humour only.

I mean it’s not like it’s a method or form of communication that we would not use face to face or in a bar is it?
Well at least it’s ok in the USA and very often used to keep discussion lighter and help prevent it diving into acrimony.

1 Like

It’s a good point that there are lots of non-English as a first language posters here and humor doesn’t translate well. Hadn’t thought of that. HOWEVER, I still do think that a little humor is good for a thread. Irrelevant or not, and if it’s truly irrelevant, it’s probably not funny.

1 Like

As mods are apparently all English speakers, one way to avoid censorship (which definitely does exist on this forum) is to post in another language.

For this there is google translate…nobody is spared - and nor should they be if they are outside of the respected rules of the forum - for which they volunteer to monitor and that Roon provides for us.

for some fun there is always the now forgotten

1 Like

This won’t end well…

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with humour but you have to read the room. A technical thread about MQA probably isn’t the place to pad threads out with funny facts or a bit of light ridicule. Humour also requires tact and intelligence. I’m not going to say which side of the debate lacks those attributes. :wink:

1 Like

Something we have to take note of is that Roon has a “I support MQA” slant. Why? MQA is a business partner of theirs. Further, Both Roon and MQA originally came out of Meridian, so there are ties there.

So, bottom line, take any actions by Roon in any MQA threads with a grain of salt.

3 Likes

I find spleen venting is tolerated more than humour. Who would have thunk it?

3 Likes

Maybe we are all just very poor stand up comics?
Don’t give up the day job I guess :innocent:

2 Likes

Good point. Im now going to concentrate on not letting facts get in the way of a good story.

1 Like

Ah, so you are going to become a politician then?

And yes I am waiting for TheHammer to fall…:wink:

2 Likes

I didn’t quite go as far as ‘lie through my teeth’

Maxwell and his silver one are watching….

1 Like

OK, that’s it I’m flagging all of these as off-topic! Wait, what was the topic again?

3 Likes

Don’t forget the majority of our customers have no issue with MQA. We support MQA for that reason.

You keep soapboxing this conspiracy theory due to our Meridian relationship history. It’s nonsense.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how it’s possible that I could “keep soapboxing” something when this is the first time I’ve ever mentioned it.

1 Like

The trouble with humour is that it becomes the victim of its own success. The problem is that Discourse has a single linear thread, rather than nested posts like Slashdot or Reddit. A quip that people “like” and then move on is usually safe, provided it is, you know, funny. A joke that people enjoy and then add to becomes problematic at some point because it derails the original conversation. Sometimes the joke and its responses might become more popular than the original post. Different people will have different views about where the appropriate point is to act. Separating out humour into its own thread usually doesn’t work. It’s only funny in context etc.

If you are going to make a humorous remark that might become sufficiently popular to derail the thread, consider making it in a new Uncategorised thread linking the original post. There is a function hidden away in the editor that does exactly that, see here:

2 Likes

It’s possible that people use humour in a place that the thread needs de railing as everything has been said ten times over contrary to the rules.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Banning from the Forum

this is the oldest I could find, 2 years ago:

So, which is it? Are we in cahoots with MQA or not? Are we pro-MQA or anti-MQA?

:exploding_head:

The reality is a lot more boring. We don’t like everything about MQA’s business model (we’ve never spoken about MQA’s audio quality), but we understand that many current and future Roon customers are pro-MQA and thus we support MQA Core Decodes in Roon (as well as saving/re-applying the render bits when using some DSP).e

1 Like