Tidal connectivity and login issues

@support I recently started a roon trial, however I canceled because I was finding that Tidal playback was only working around 10% of the time.

One of your customer service team asked me to elaborate, and I offered to make a quicktime if they reactivated the trial for a day or so to allow me to do it. I’m a good egg like that.

However, on launching roon again I was immediately asked to log into Tidal within the roon app, and roon is refusing my tidal login, reporting a bad password when that is certainly not the case.

So it seems I’ve found a double whammy of tidal bugs. You can probably find the conversation on this under ticket [#428717].

At this point I’m as happy to go away and come back to your product when you support qobuz as well as tidal (as that is my preferred service anyway), but If you’d like to diagnose and fix the issues let me know what you need and maybe I’ll be a customer yet.

regards
JT

Hey @John_Tuckey — Thanks for your report, it’s always appreciated!

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide. Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

While it may seem elementary, during your troubleshooting of this behavior have you…

• Tried rebooting the Core machine?
  • Verified that you are able to access TIDAL without issue, outside of ROON via the TIDAL webUI and or desktop application?

While the steps above may be pretty simple, they will certainly help rule out a couple of possible causes for this behavior.

-Dylan

Thanks Dylan

Rebooting the core (on a QNAP NAS) resolved the tidal login issue, I’ll use it over the weekend to try and catch the initial problem reported.

Hey @John_Tuckey,

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going. Is everything working well with TIDAL playback?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan

I haven’t used it since the last post in fairness. I have just fired it up to check and Tidal is playing up immediately.

My guess is that tidal streams through the core, correct? so it seems theres issues with tidal streaming through the core running off my NAS (a QNAP TS251+ with 8gb RAM, Firmware 4.3.4.0569). Roon core is version 1.5 (323).

Thanks for the update @John_Tuckey!

You are correct in that, when using TIDAL with Roon, it streams through your Core machine. So I can have a clearer idea of your setup, may I kindly ask that you Please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Can you also please confirm the following:

• Does this happen for all audio zones? If you play to System Output, do you experience the same behavior?
  • Just to be certain, you do not have any issues playing local files, correct?

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan

Local files seem fine yes, its just tidal that’s the issue. I wouldn’t ever play to system output, but for posterity, it’s the same. and its the same from ipad/iPhone. On mobile controllers I don’t get the transport message, the tidal tracks just cycle by 1/second or so as it fails to play them.

Tidal is a UK account, when first reported it was a premium account, it’s currently a hifi account.

I’ve actually switched networks this week, so the old network was:

Google Wifi as router, feeding to cisco switch with gigabit ethernet connections to NAS. My Linn players and desktop are also ethernet connected. Tablets, phones, consoles all connected via wifi to the google wifi.

The new network
WatchGuard T15 as router, feeding to cisco switch with gigabit ethernet connections to unifi wifi AP and NAS. My Linn players and desktop are still ethernet connected. Tablets, phones, consoles all connected via wifi to the unifi AP.

There’s around a dozen appliances on my LAN, half of which are dormant at any given time.

Thank you for the details, @John_Tuckey!

By any chance is the Cisco switch you mention a managed switch?.

I usually like to mention that we’ve tracked a number of issues to in the past to managed switches(examples: here, here, and here).

The simplest way to confirm whether the switch (or its settings) are contributing to these symptoms would be to temporarily test with the switch removed from your network. Whether things improve or not, the results of that test would be a great data point.

I would also recommend enabling flow control on the switch, as we have seen that settings resolve a number of issues for other users in the past.

In the past, we’ve seen that some have had success using Google DNS to improve their TIDAL experience. Try following the instructions in that link and see if the experience improves.

Thanks,
Dylan

It’s not a managed switch, so there is no flow control. We already use google DNS, always have!

It’s probably also worth mentioning that tidal works fine on its own and via the Linn Kazoo app, so I don’t think the rest of the network is the issue (especially when we’ve already swapped out big chunks of it and still had the same issue).

I appreciate the update, @John_Tuckey.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

-Dylan

At this point, I think I’ll uninstall. Once the streaming services support qobuz or spotify within roons interface and stably from a nas, I’ll be back.

Hey @John_Tuckey

I’m sorry for the continued difficulties. We’d love to get you up and running, so if you change your mind just let us know!

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. If you want to continue forward, the next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Again, I just wanted to apologize for the difficulties and if you decide to continue forward just let us know - We’d love to help!

-Dylan

Just a quick report. I had been having tidal logon failures for a few weeks, but retries worked eventually. Today retries would not work at all. I tried to re-enter my tidal account details and it reported bad username password. Rebooted the core, logged in with no problem.

If it happens again I’ll log a case so we can diagnose, but all working sweet atm…

ta

Rob.