UK BBC Radio stations will stop working March 22

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROON 1.8 Intel i7 NUC

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Linksys Velop Ethernet and WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

4 x Ropiee on RaspberryPi 3

Description Of Issue

The BBC has changed the way it distributes live radio online. If you listen to BBC live radio and hear the following message:

“The way your device receives BBC radio programmes will stop working on or after the 22nd March 2021. If you’re using an internet radio or smart speaker, please contact the device manufacturer. If you’re using an app on another device, we recommend you listen using the BBC Sounds app or website.”

please contact your device manufacturer and refer them to our blog post advising manufacturers of the change.

ROON live radio users who, like me, are getting that message. Please ask the ROON team to check out the BBC blog bellow:

And keep the access to our favourite stations available.

Thanks

This is issue is being discussed and resolved here:

Hello @Rod_Hamilton, which station are you listening to? (I would like to know if it is one of those that I hoped I had fixed)

Radio 4.
What version of ROON are you running?
I cant seem to find a way to enter a custom URL since ROON introduced browsing for stations.
Cheers

Oh, that’s worrying.
Assuming you are talking about the mp3 stream, you should be seeing

http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_fourfm

…unless you had added the old ic.llnwd.net based mp3 stream yourself?

(To add URLs you should just be able to add as usual. Add a post on the #live-radio thread and the Radio curators will sort you out)

Just to help ID which stream you are using, these are available for R4:

I believe @BrianW can amend the Live Radio urls server-side.

I think OP was refering to when users could add urls in the Roon interface itself… in 1.6 I think?

Note the 320k stream is UK only.

Can still do so in my live radio.

1 Like

Oh, so you can!

Thanks.

Although tbh the Radio browser has all I need. :slight_smile:

We aim to please

1 Like

Hi
I don’t see the 320kbps stream at all Just the 128 and 96 kbps. I am using the MP3 128kbps and have been happily so until I started getting the hourly message broadcast on the hour by the BBC. The BBC says that if you don’t hear the message then the provider has already resolved the situation and is already using the BBC’s new servers and streams. I raised the alarm because I do get the message.
Best
Rod

Thanks Brian
Of course I looked for the add station but in the wrong location. Got it now thanks.

Found a site which lists what I think might be the new locations.
Am trying one of them and so far did not get the warning of disconnection message.

Thanks

Thanks, I have been adding the new URLs. I was concerned that you were getting with the message with R4 which I had already changed.

All the BBC stations are in the main database already.

Hi Brian
It was BBC R4 that I was getting the message with but it may be that you updated just as I was submitting my post.
Sods Law.
Thanks
Rod

Nope. I updated the mp3 stream yesterday (and the other ones are unaffected).
Please keep listening and let me know if you hear the message again.

(To be clear - were you listening to a R4 stream you had previously added yourself?)

It was ROON’s stream.
I will monitor it tomorrow.
I expect it’ll be fine if you fixed it yesterday.
I’ll let you know.
Cheers.

1 Like

Hi Brian
Just heard the message again that “BBC Radio will stop working on 22 March” using the ROON supplied stream accessed using “my live radio”. Are the url’s contained in a file on my ROCK? In which case I probably need an update to refresh the list. Or do does my ROCK access your url list on your servers every time? Or maybe it’s just the list in “my live radio” that needs refreshing from ROON’s radio browser. What can you recommend?
Thanks
Rod

Yes, if you are using the main, database, entry. If you have your own URLs, I’m not sure.

When you choose the station, do you see the full description, plus tags and a list of streams? Like this…

If so, then you are playing the updated streams (well, just mp3, others are unaffected)

Brian
I think you are right. I was probably using a legacy stream from the time before you introduced browsing.
Now I am trying your supplied stream.
I apologise for any trouble caused or time wasted, No message on the hour this time.
Thanks.
Rod

1 Like

No problem. And thank you for confirming no message on the hour.

All the affected BBC streams have been updated.

2 Likes