Version 918 feedback

Hi Daniel,
There are some IOS related issues at the moment:

With regard to your imported music access, please raise a specific thread on this issue in the Support section. It is important to give full details of your Roon setup including details of where the music is stored and the associated storage path settings in Roon. It is likely something that can be easily fixed.

Crashes and reboots itself once in a while. No apparent reason why it is happening…

@Charles_Jean, try the workaround listed in the post below. You’ll need to adjust slightly depending on the operating system that your core is using so please let us know if you need assistance getting to the folder mentioned. It’s critical that Roon or RoonServer is not running when you delete the specified directory.

Thanks for the fast response Andrew. Folder deleted! Let’s see how it goes and will report back. For your info, I’m running RoonOnNas on a Synology DS720 on steroids. :slight_smile:

Not so good. Tidal stopped working for me and wasn’t easy to get started back. I tried restarting the core several times; no change. I tried disabling Tidal, then reenabling; no change. I logged out of Tidal in Roon, and at first Roon wouldn’t recognize that I had logged back in. I’d go through the login process, and I’d get the browser confirmation that login was successfully, but the status of Tidal in Roon wouldn’t change. I tried this several times on my phone then remoted in to my (headless) server and tried it a few times there. Finally I restarted the core again and logged in to Tidal again, and it started working. A lot of headache for a premium software product.

Some of the Tidal issues have been down to AWS outages, so beyond Roon’s purview. A couple of times over the last couple of months I have run into issues that cannot be explained by our crappy cell phone network internet that sometimes runs at dial-up speeds. 99% of the time Tidal via Roon works flawlessly. When Tidal does play up, logging out of Tidal on all devices, rebooting core, router, and remote, then logging back into Tidal via Roon solved it.

1 Like

Anyone experiencing lost connection between core and Win10 Remotes? I’ll wake my remote from sleep and Roon remote will be open, I’ll hit play and it will lose connection and go back to Select Roon Core. Then it comes back, in and out, and eventually hitting play will work and it will stabilize.

But it’s not a good experience.

EDIT: Overall, this build seems less stable. Core has to be rebooted more often. Chokes on large tag shuffles. Last version seemed to be a bit more reliable.

Hey Andrew!

10 hours later, no crash. I think that deleting the orbit_v3.db folder did the trick.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Well, I spoke too soon. Roon Core started acting again around 3:30 this afternoon and since, it’s dropping every 15 mins or so.

If that can help, Core doesn’t seem to crash and reboot because I can recover it almost instantly by pressing play. What I can say however is that it is loosing connection with all output devices. The streamer and Chromecast are dropped at the same time.

Thanks!

1 Like

My system on 918 also still drops connection to all end point devices.

In addition, I have what sounds like a playback corruption, like roon stutters from losing samples, when playing back a song.

Sound quality is good when it plays. Roon team: still some work to fix problems. I am confident you will get there…

Rock, 3 Ropieee, 3 AirPlay devices (Yamaha AVR and Apple TV) , 2 IPhone, 2 IPad, one .Mac and one Windows Notebook works very well without any issues

Great job

Definitely less stable than prior builds. And this weird thing with my Win10 remote disconnecting and reconnecting to the core over and over after a wake-up is entirely new with Build 918. There is nothing exotic about my network (all wired, 10G) or audio setup. Man I really wish I wasn’t an de facto beta tester.

2 Likes

Many thanks to the developers for recent releases. I have a small piece of feedback.

I’ve experienced choppy scrolling on the iPad and iPhone in most 1.8 releases. With Build 911, the problem was almost completely solved, but with 913 and 918, it has returned, though scrolling is still smoother than it was before releases targeting the issue began.

1 Like

I’ve only had Roon about 9 months, but this feels like the best version in terms of reliability and speed throughout the interface.

1 Like

This build isn’t stable. I’m glad it works for many of you, but this version has issues no prior version has had. Windows 10 remotes struggle to connect and stay connected. Different clearly untrue error messages pop like “check your internet connection.”

I understand that Roon is a work in progress, but come on guys, it’s 6 years on, and basic reliability is still an issue. It’s simply not fair to charge as much as you do – clearly in the premium product range – and saddle your customers with all this troubleshooting and frustration. I’m not doing anything exotic.

Roon needs a drastic upgrade to its testing and quality control. Developing a reputation as a finicky product and a company that doesn’t support.

There was a thread that was greatly panned - the suggestion was that Roon should support less platforms. I don’t think people understood the point - it’s not that the OP wanted Roon not to support a given platform, it’s that the OP understood what a massive challenge it is keeping Roon stable and reliable on so many different platforms. It’s a challenge you are not really succeeding at…

6 Likes

I made the same observation.

1 Like

Win11 firewall does not like Roon RAAT server one bit. Make sure it is enabled to pass through the firewall. Mine acted up after a restart of Win firewall after running for months w/o a problem.

I am loosing playlists in 918 on a regular basis. So much so that I have had to restore from backup 5 or 6 times now.

It is happening in several scenarios but there are two I am conscious of related to repetitious daily mixes.

1. I like to rename the daily mixes to include an indicative genre. Renaming the mixes to include an indicative genre/mood results in dozens of playlists being lost. I am not sure of the precise circumstances. I may have been renaming whilst playing the playlist.

2. I wanted to look up the style/genre of a few artists I was unfamiliar on a daily mix so I did a search on their discographies. When I returned to the daily mix page, the mix I was interested in had gone. So I just paged back in roon until I re-found the daily-mix I was interested in and saved it. That resulted in all but one of dozens of playlists being lost.

In both cases I was able to restore from a recent backup, but still. I now find myself doing a backup before I dare do any playlist edits. That is no a good experience. Anyone else experiencing this?

I’d add this as a support thread, if you haven’t already done so.

Yep. I’ve done that now.

1 Like