VPN: step-by-step

I know Roon via VPN is not “officially” supported, but I also know that numerous members of this forum have gotten it to work. All of the threads on the topic seem to address specific issues in the setup process, though (rather than a basic “how to”). Would it be possible for any of the tech savvy forums members to post a basic, step by step explanation of how they’ve gotten this to work? My setup has the Roon core on a Win 10 machine and I’m looking to use VPN to connect to an iOs endpoint. (I imagine this is a common setup and would be helpful to many). Thank you!

Ps I currently use my QNAP NAS as a VPN server, and connect via the OpenVPN iphone app … I can’t get the iOs Roon to find my local win 10 Core

(Adam Goodfellow) #2

I don’t think you will get an iPhone to find a core as I don’t not believe that iOS supports the required VPN mode.

Someone who knows the details might correct/explain.

(Daniel) #3

Hey, Sadly iOS does not support TAP mode, and will not work with Roon Core over VPN.

From openvpn:

Why doesn’t the app support tap-style tunnels?

A: The iOS VPN API supports only tun-style tunnels at the moment. This is a limitation of the iOS platform. If you try to connect a profile that uses a tap-based tunnel, you will get an error that only layer 3 tunnels are currently supported.

(Wim) #4

I manage to log into Roon over VPN and play music using Roon on my Windows 10 laptop and on my Android phone and tablet when I’m on the go.
I have a WatchGuard XTM 25 Series Firewall Appliance that is maintained by my IT service provider.
I use the WatchGuard Mobile VPN with SSL app on Windows 10 and I have configured a L2TP/IPSec VPN with a pre-shared key on my Android phone and tablet.
But it is usually easier to just use the Tidal Apps.

got it. thanks!

(Jeffrey Pierce) #6

I’m about 80% of the way done getting VPN/Streaming to work all the time on my Synology NAS + Roon Server. Presently, I’m not all that interested in mobile (I’m an iPhoner) but I want to be able to have the same library at my office (where I keep my nice DAC, amp, and headphones) as I do at home (where I also keep a nice DAC, amp, and headphones)

Once I get it working to my satisfaction, I wouldn’t mind posing a walkthru of how I did it.

Check back in a few weeks!

(Ged) #7

Sorry if I am telling you things you already know. You can use roon at two locations as long as only one is live at any time.

(Jeffrey Pierce) #8

Yes - thanks. I’ve seen that one can swap licences between two cores. I thought since I’d set up Roon to access to the files on my NAS already - that it would be easier / best for me to just maintain one, centralized library. So that, matched with the fact I like to fiddle and fuss around with this kind of stuff. :wink: We’ll see what happens…

(Ged) #9

Just didn’t want you wasting time… but fiddling with tech that’s different :grinning:

(Jeffrey Pierce) #10

Okay, I’ve had a Roon VPN solution working for a few weeks now and it’s been great! My goal was to do it on the cheap, so I ended up only using stuff I already had.

Here is what I used:

• Roon Core is running on a Synology NAS (a DS218+ with maxed out RAM to be exact)
    • Well, it is actually running on a 64GB flash drive plugged in to the back, with my local files stored on the main drives.††
  • Roon Mac clients for connecting both locally (on the LAN) and remotely (namely, my office computer)
    • The streams of both local content and TIDAL/Qobuz has been seamless.
  • Roon iOS clients connect locally only (I have no need for remote iOS presently - I think it’s possible - wouldn’t be that hard to try…)
  • The remote connection is using a secure OpenVPN server (also running on the NAS, not my router) with and endpoint connection/tunneling happening with TunnelBlick.

Before I take the time to write up detailed instructions, I wanted to ensure that there was somebody (or multiple *-bodies) with a similar enough use cases (hence the list above) for it to be worthwhile. It’s not actually all that difficult ††† - just lots of little steps - a bunch of which are specific to my system.

Barring the flash drive - I only had 32GB ones kicking around the house. I’m still pleased I could make this happen for > $20.

†† I also run; 1) a Plex Server and 2) a Docker container (nodejs) with Homebridge in addition to 3) the file storage and backup functions on this device and have never experienced hiccups. Although, I’ve never tried to transcribe a 4k video, stream 24/192 from Qobuz while asking Siri to lock my doors and turn on and off all my lights either. I’m also luckily to have a dedicated gigabit fiber connection running to my house, thanks Burlington.

††† I work with computers for my day job - but not as a Network Engineer or an IT Bro or anything fancy-pantsy techo-lord like that.

Remote connection via VPN - [Resolved] but ongoing discussion