Build 1392 through 1401: Album Covers Missing, Orphaned Tracks from Compilation Albums [Roon Investigating]

Like a good little Roon user I dutifully installed the latest Roon update yesterday morning and I’ve had nothing but trouble ever since. It’s a complete disaster.

Album covers GONE from 100 of albums.

Hundreds of tracks have been orphaned from various albums, increasing the number of albums in my library by over 1,000

Playing anything from either Qobuz or Tidal is now impossible - 10 to 15 minutes for the album to begin playing and then playing stops after a few minutes.

Roon ARC still does not work, never has and I’m thinking that it never will. Funny PlexAmp works like a charm.

After this disaster I tried to restore my database form a recent (pre-upgrade) backup and guess what - that also failed.

I’m presently trying to manually fix one of the hundreds of now orphaned albums/tracks and that too is now failing, i.e. the merge albums function is just stuck. as in it’s been “saving” for the past hour, with no end in sight.

I should note that many of the orphaned albums/tracks that I did manage to “fix” over the past day have just keep reverting back to their orphaned state. As I said a complete disaster.

I’m very disappointed that Team Roon would release such a terrible and very obviously untested upgrade. Please issue a real, tested and working upgrade as soon as possible.

By the way, can I get a credit against my next Roon annual renewal cost for the hundreds of hours I will now have to spend fixing my now broken (broken by this latest Roon update) music library?

2 Likes

I hope they can sort that out for you :pleading_face:

Because the release notes specifically mentioned changes to better work with stuff like unidentified Grateful Dead bootlegs, I’m wondering if your disaster is possibly related to something going wrong with this?

2 Likes

I wish the problems were so easily identified but alas that is not the case. While many of these unidentified recordings are part of the overall problem, the problems are not limited to just unidentified albums.

Right now Roon is rescanning a large number of files and I will wait until that is finished and see what the results are. Until this all gets sorted out I will be spinning vinyl and watching sports on TV.

2 Likes

Maybe it got itself confused while trying to be clever. Good luck!

1 Like

There’s another user with an apparently similar experience after the recent update…

I think there was still another one some hours back…

This should be reclassified in Support; there may be something going on which warrants a deeper look…

Not sure if this is helpful or not, or indeed relevant, but all my files are imported onto my Nucleus and I set my import settings to ‘Prefer file’ rather than ‘Prefer Roon’. No issues with the latest update on my Mac or iphone.

I do recall an issue with the album covers on one of the previous updates. There was a fix issued and the covers gradually filled in over a few days. I seem to remember this was the point where I changed my import settings.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: B1392 A manual rescan causes the images to no longer be displayed

I also have a lot of bootleg Dead shows which I rename in a non-standard manner.
Latest update has not done anything strange to my naming system.

A post was split to a new topic: B1392 Dropped the connection to my Matrix Mini completely

A post was split to a new topic: B1392 After a restart - other albums (albums that were just displayed with covers) no longer have covers

Roon Server Machine

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

Version 22H2
OS build 19045.4239
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19055.1000.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

FIOS High Speed Fiber Optic with FIOS router, connected to Roon server via Ethernet

Winders Defender firewall, Malwarebytes anti-virus

No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Five Roon Ready endpoints - all connected via Ethernet

Three Squeezebox Touches - all connected via Ethernet

Six Chromecast devices - all coonected via WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

1,026,529 tracks with about 80% local files and 20% Qobuz and Tidal files

Description of Issue

Album covers GONE from 100s of albums.

Hundreds of tracks have been orphaned from various albums, increasing the number of albums in my library by over 1,000. The total number of albums in my library keeps changing from minute to minute without me doing anything.

I should note that many of the orphaned albums/tracks that I did manage to “fix” over the past day have just keep reverting back to their orphaned state.

Playing anything from either Qobuz or Tidal is now nearly impossible - 10 to 15 minutes for the album to begin playing and then playing stops after a few minutes.

Roon ARC still does not work.

Hi @Jazzfan_NJ,

We’re investigating the underlying cause here. This issue affects highly curated local libraries with unique subdirectory structures or custom tagging - we’ve escalated it internally to senior development. Try restarting your RoonServer in the meantime - it may restore some of the missing artwork.

2 Likes

First off a big thank you for looking into this issue.

Second while I do indeed have a very large library, it is by no means highly curated, plus I do not use any custom tagging, just plain vanilla tags, and I do not have unique subdirectory structures.

For example my directory structure is like this:

Jazz Aa-Am → Aaron Novik - O+O+ (2019) (with each album in its own subdirectory.)

While the missing artwork seems to occur with no rhyme or reason., the orphaned tracks are mostly from compilations. I hope that this information helps.

On a positive note, things seemed to have settled down and partly stabilized with the number of albums being reported by Roon not changing from minute to minute, although the number still does fluctuate for no reason. The connections to Tidal and Qobuz have also improved and I am able to play music from these services without any issues or time lags.

Hi @Jazzfan_NJ,

Our understanding of the issue matches the symptoms you’re describing and the large library is likely creating sufficient conditions. We have significant resources dedicated internally to restoring metadata services that are malfunctioning - you should see improvement shortly. Thank you again for your patience.

2 Likes

Hi @Jazzfan_NJ,

How are things performing for you? This issue is not entirely resolved, but we’ve made considerable progress. We’re doing a temperature check on affected users.

Here’s an update:

The issue with playing from Qobuz and Tidal has been resolved.

Roon ARC remains unusable for me, which I think is a function of the large size of my music (in excess of one million tracks)

The issues of orphaned tracks and missing album covers remains and still is a mess. I stopped trying to manually fix both missing covers and orphaned tracks and decided to sit tight until an update is released.

Thanks again for working on this issue.

1 Like

Hello Connor

Unfortunately, the update to build 1401 did not fix the bugs from build 1392.
I would like to say it very politely and without anger but also very directly:
This is a “no go” for a database system if the number of albums varies from 6983 to 7055 after each start of roon.
What steps did I take:

After updating to build 1401 I still had a very large number of

• Albums without covers
  • Many more albums in the display than albums are stored on the server, as individual songs are repeatedly displayed as separate albums without covers.

That’s why I restored a backup of build 1388. Everything was still fine here.
After roon searched the database again (takes about 3 hours), roon displayed 6977 albums on the home screen. Some albums didn’t have covers, so I had them read again.
Result: 6977 albums, ALL with covers.

After rebooting ROCK I now have the result:
7055 albums, 121 without covers

This is simply inadequate and should not happen in a DB system.

I don’t want to show any additional examples, but: If you are the head of a school and have 500 boys and 400 girls registered in your school, then you have to find this again even after restarting the system. And not 920 students, because some are counted twice, for example the 20 were born in New York.

3 Likes
Full form submission

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· I'm having trouble adding music to my library

Describe the issue

After today's update, my library is missing a lot of cover images. Before the update everything was okay and all cover images were there.
Every update - new problems.
I don't feel like looking for the covers every time and integrating them again.
Please turn this off or check the update before releasing it.
For me, Roon doesn't get any better, no, just inflated...! This is no longer Roon as we knew it - bad and sad...!
Siegfried

1 Like

I notice that all your missing covers appear to be for compilation albums (e.g. “Various Artists”) and that you are using Roon Remote on a tablet. These may be clues that will help the Support team diagnose your issue further.

It’s no comfort to you, but FWIW, I am not seeing the issue on my Roon Remote running on a PC.

1 Like

On Mac it’s the same problem and it’s not just Various Artists.

1 Like