Cannot seem to get ARC working

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus Plus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1. Who is your internet service provider? AT&T

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router? BGW320-505

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?Router is TP-Link x60 mesh

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security? No

Connected Audio Devices

Ethernet connection to an unmanaged switch and another Ethernet cable to the Nucleus

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

I’ve enabled UPnP in the TP-Lin Deco app for this environment and disabled all routing functions in the cable modem so it is only passing an IP address to the TP-Link device.
What I see in the Roon app for ARC is

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“99.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“192.168.1.81”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.68.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Let me know if you require any additional information

Have you seen this?

See the AT&T suggestions here:

@stevebythebay, as @Suedkiez notes, you will need to create two port forwarding rules to get this to work on AT&T’s fiber solution (I am on AT&T with an older model of gateway):

1. You will need to create a TCP port forwarding rule from the BGW320 to your TP-Link Deco router using the IP address of your Deco router (assumed to be 192.168.68.1) using the port number found in Roon’s Settings → ARC tab

2. The second TCP port forwarding rule is from your Deco router to the LAN IP address of your Roon Core server, again using the port number found in Roon’s Settings → ARC tab

Does this help?

I did see some of this. According to AT&T the BGW320 doesn’t even support UPnP, so I know that wouldn’t seem to be the culprit. I’ve set it up for Passthrough and I see that for Firewall the status of NAT Default Server is Off. Also, turned off the DHCP server setting. That was a major error. Seems doing so prevents the modem from delivering any IP address to the downstream router. I had to engage my ISP to work through my error, and get the right settings back into my account.

I will work on following Robert’s steps as well as the specific recommendations in Suedkiez’s reference to the AT&T items in …List of Solutions…

@stevebythebay, on the BGW320, you don’t want Passthrough, but rather NAT/Gaming to create the port forwarding rule. Passthrough turns your gateway into a bridge but may expose you to some security issues as well as remove some AT&T features you need (they are strict in how they monitor the network).

For information on creating a port forwarding rule on the BGW320, I found this link on the AT&T boards:

Probably not clear but Passthrough is what I need to ensure the TP-Link x60 router has a connection to the fiber network. My understanding it that the idea is to disable all unnecessary functions on the BGW320 and make it into a very simple modem. That entails disabling any routing function. The tech walked me through this which included what you see here: How to enable IP Passthrough on ATT BGW320-505 - Devon Stephens

The the primary x60 (wired to the BGW320) takes on full responsibility for routing.

I did happen to see the NAT/Gaming item, but I was baffled by the dropdown list. Do I choose the x60 and then create a Custom Service? Sorry for my confusion. Maybe this will walk me through the process

The Passthrough function basically turns off all the features on the 320 except basic modem functions and any monitoring by AT&T. However, AT&T’s strong security overlay services also are de-activated, leaving only your x60 as the security barrier. For me personally, I do not use Passthrough for my AT&T gateway, and created a port forwarding rule as I described above; AT&T security is good and I prefer to keep it active.

That said, should you configure the NAT/Gaming IP port forwarding rule, yes use the IP address of the x60 connected via Ethernet cable to your 320 and create a Custom Service using TCP. As I don’t have a 320, I am not sure of all the options in the dropdown list. Maybe if you post a screenshot I could provide some guidance.

1 Like

Did that on the BG320 and also tried to use the TP-Link Deco app to create a port for forwarding from Roon. No dice.

Decided to factory reset my TP-Link x60 setup. Ran Roon ARC test and got a very different result.

{
“ipv6_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: connect ENETUNREACH fdb4:abae:fa9a:4f0e:56b2:3ff:fe98:2b92:55002, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“99.hhh.iii.jjj”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“fdb4:aaa:bbb:ccc:ddd:eee:fff:ggg”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.68.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

Any ideas about what this means? Wondering if I should remove the Port Forwarding I had set up in the AT&T BGW320.

Decided to see what Chat-GPT might make of what, to my eyes, is quite unintelligible and got this:

This is a computer networking error message that provides information about the connectivity status between your device and the internet. It seems like there are problems connecting to both IPv6 and IPv4 networks.

The message also indicates that the router’s external IP address is not available, and auto-configuration protocols such as NAT-PMP and UPnP are having some issues.

Overall, it appears that there are some network configuration issues preventing your device from connecting to the internet. It may be necessary to troubleshoot your network settings or contact your internet service provider for assistance.

These errors are related to network connectivity issues with your device’s internet connection. Here is what each error means:

1. “ipv6_connectivity” error with “status_code” 502 and “error”: This indicates that there is an issue with your device’s connection to the internet through IPv6 protocol. The “ENETUNREACH” error message suggests that your device is unable to reach the network through the specified IP address. This could be due to a configuration issue or an issue with your internet service provider.
  2. “ipv4_connectivity” error with “status_code” 504 and “error”: This error indicates that there is an issue with your device’s connection to the internet through IPv4 protocol. The “ETIMEDOUT” error message suggests that your device is unable to establish a connection within a certain time limit. This could also be due to a configuration issue or a problem with your internet service provider.
  3. “external_ip” error with “router_external_ip” set to “null”: This indicates that your device is not able to obtain the external IP address of your router. This could be due to a connectivity issue with your router or an issue with your internet service provider.
  4. “natpmp_autoconfig” error with “status” set to “NotFound”: This error indicates that the device was not able to automatically configure its network address translation (NAT) settings using the NAT-PMP protocol. NAT-PMP is a protocol used to automatically configure NAT settings on routers.
  5. “upnp_autoconfig” error with “error” set to “s:ClientUPnPError718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault>”: This error indicates that the device was not able to automatically configure its NAT settings using the UPnP protocol. UPnP is another protocol used to automatically configure NAT settings on routers. The error message suggests that there is a conflict in the mapping entry for the device’s port forwarding settings.

Still cannot figure out what action(s) to take.

After hours of calls with TP-Link and AT&T I’ve gotten to the bottom of what seemed like a bottomless pit. Turns out that one thing I was not aware: a tech at TP-Link suggested that the AT&T modem was at “fault” as it must be the source of DHCP function. Sure enough when I searched about the myriad settings I found that a DHCP Server was, by default, enabled. So, after checking with a tech at AT&T he confirmed this. I disabled the DHCP server function and restarted the modem. However, after doing so, and pulling the power on the TP-Link x60, and powering the x60 back up the x60 would not work at all. I instead, plugged the Ethernet cable from the cable modem into my laptop and found that the IP address it was passed by the modem was quite odd. Contacing TP-Link support they confirmed after some time that what I was seeing was an address that is unsupported by their routers. It is in fact one that would not support any conventional router. It’s an APIPA address or link-local, in my case 169.254.25.75 that the TP-Link router is not capable of dealing with, unlike a computer.

I’ve no idea if this is typical practice of ISP’s but the only options would be to purchase a set of fixed IP addresses from AT&T or return back to enabling the DHCP server on the modem.

What is interesting is that in the past, when I had Xfinity as my ISP and used an Arris cable modem I had gotten my current TP-Link configuration to work without any issues - just had to ensure UPnP was working. What surprised me was that neither the support of TP-Link nor AT&T were familiar with this particular issue. Wondering if anyone else on these forums have hit their heads against this wall.

It would appear that my only recourse is to let the BGW320 act as DHCP server and router for my network and change my mesh network devices run in AP mode, so as to avoid the curse of double NAT.

Would anyone in Roon Support review and let me know if my understanding is correct? I’d like to get Roon ARC working but it seems the only options I have are to either get, at a price, AT&T to provide a fixed IP address, which “may” allow me to disable the DHCP server on their cable modem and pass this address through to my TP-Link mesh router “OR” have the TP-Link devices act as access points, disabling routing. All of this to ensure I’ve no double NAT issues.

Mea culpa…I fall on my sword. Made a supremely stupid mistake. I specified the wrong MAC address when creating the Custom IP Address in the Deco app. Once I fixed this now I can use my phone’s wifi disabled cell network to access Roon. Sorry for my miscue. I did learn a lot through this experience about different IP address types and the BGW320.

1 Like

Great to hear, so are you up and running with ARC now?

I also leave DHCP on my AT&T router, but create a new subnet for my home LAN served by my second router. AT&T defaults to 192.168.1.x for their LAN addressing, and my second router I assigned as 192.168.2.x; I leave DHCP on my AT&T router but all connected devices go through my second router, also serving DHCP and I haven’t had any issues. Nothing connects to my AT&T router except my upstream fiber connection and my downstream second router.

Interesting approach. I’m awaiting receipt on a replacement Firewalla Purple box which I plan to run, not as a router, but in a simple mode, to watch what is coming and going on my network. Not certain if that’s the best approach, but it allows me to use the full capabilities of the TP-Link mesh software.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.