Linn Devices only showing up as AirPlay with QNAP Core after updating to build 1148 [Update Roon to Build 1154 (Linux Release Only)]

Same problem.
Can I ask how you all are listening to music?
No luck using the Linn Kazoo app either, it will not find my library located on my NAS.
Trying to use Spotify it only plays through my iPad not through the Linn even though it is selected as the source on the front of my Akurate DSM. Iā€™m not sure how to fix this.
Cannot utilize my Qobuz account as it does not appear in the Konfig as a choice.
I love my Linn but my have to move on if this doesnā€™t get worked out soon.
Thanks

Thanks, I found that too.
I also found that AirPlay is unreliable - the configuration option (and hence ability to select it as a player) keeps dropping out.
But it seems the issue is clearly identified now, so will just have to wait for a Roon fix (and use UPNP and Qobuz in the meantime.)

At the moment Iā€™m just using Kazoo Server (with the QNAP package, which pretty much configures itself if you have your Linn set up properly in the Konfig app.).
That gives access to my NAS library and everything on Qobuz.

(For everything else, I have a Toslink connection to my TV, to play anything connected through that including PC/Android/WebOS apps - but that is only an option for DSM players).

If the problems persist Iā€™ll probably buy an updated Minimserver licence and insall that again - I really like its ā€˜hierarchical browsingā€™.
I love the way Roon lets you explore and find new music connections, but miss that it is SO relentlessly focussed on that that there is no proper way to browse what is already in your own library. (So Iā€™ll probably set up Minimserver for that again at some point anyway, because that is mainly how I like to listen to music).

1 Like

To play files on your NAS using KAZOO or LINN, you need to run a DLNA compliant server. Iā€™m using Twonky. If youā€™re already running a server, itā€™s a good idea to review your app settings.

Next, letā€™s consider the alternatives and what we can get out of them until the bug is cleared.
Plan 1. Run roon on the new machine. ā‡’ Debt, the hassle of installing a display and keyboard.
Plan 2. Switch to Synology. ā‡’ Debt and Synology operational knowledge.
Plan 3. Switch to Audirvana. ā‡’ A sad farewell to local sound sources and streaming service sound sources. Incurring new costs.
Plan 4. Switch to KAZOO or LINN. ā‡’ After all, it is a sad farewell to local sound sources and streaming service sound sources.
Plan 5. Say goodbye to runes. ā‡’ Fun and fulfilling daily memories.

Iā€™m following this thread with interest as it is similar to the issues I experienced on updating to Roon 2.0 1148 back in September with my majik dsm/sneaky and innuos nas. These issues seem to affect qnap linn users particularly badly, but not uniquely. My experience and resolution are in my posting to the support group 20/9 as ā€˜Innuos core installing for 2.5hrsā€™ which was the harbinger of much grief to restore full functionality. I now wait for a few days before updating software to see if any new ā€˜featuresā€™ are included in the release! I hope that Roon can learn from this so we donā€™t have to work so hard to enjoy our hifiā€¦.

I have same problem Roon server running on QNap NAS TS 364

building up new NAS system after dead of my older NAS. Linn Klimax DSM now only via airplay.

my minim server is running accuratly

I use an Allo Digital Signature Player and this is now showing as airplay only. I am not sure it can even use airplay and am wondering if the connections to the core (Roon nucleus) are being mislabelled.

Can I ask how this is done? I may reach out to Linn support again for this.
I did reach out to them when this issue first happened. They said they do not know the Roon software and couldnā€™t help. But at least they know that this is happening to their customers.

Hello
I have the same problem.Please repair as soone as possible
It is very bad for Linn user with Qnap Core.
Thanks Andreas

Has anyone tried to get Roon working via Docker? I posted about it earlier in this thread. Someone knowledgeable with QNAP and Docker could probably get this going in under 10 minutes. Hereā€™s the post above:

Iā€™m also mentioning @crieke who created and, I believe, maintains the QNAP package in case heā€™s not aware of the issue.

@gTunes, thanks for the link to Walkthrough : Roon in a Docker container on Synology DSM 7 with detailed instructions to set up Roon in a Docker container using QNAP Container station and the image created by @Steef_de_Bruijn .

I can confirm that it is working with Linn Subnet Streaming available! The container creation procedure has changed a bit since you created the docs, so here is what I picked:

• I started by creating a fresh backup of my existing QNAP package Roon core. Then I stopped and removed the QNAP Roon package.
  • On my TS-453D, I have 8GB of RAM, so I decided to give Roon ample space but to leave something reserved for other services, just in case: I picked 80% CPU Limit and 4096 MB of RAM.
  • Under Environment, the screens in the how-to showed more variables and I was unsure what to do at first. Since your description mentioned to only add TZ for the timezone, I did exactly that and picked Europe/Berlin as that is the best match for me. The other environment variables showed up similar to your instructions after I started the container.
  • Under Network, I selected ā€œNetwork Modeā€ = ā€œHostā€.
  • Nothing to be configured under Device.
  • Under Shared Folders, I set up my existing backup folder, existing Media folder, existing RoonData folder with the path names you have in the how-to (/backup, /music, /data, respectively). I created a new folder for ā€œ/appā€ on the NAS as well. In my case, I put the new folder in a shared folder I already had.

Once that was done, my Roon Remote app was pretty quick to show the Core in the container. I had trouble connecting until I force stopped the app on my phone. Then I was able to connect and had to login, unauthorize the old core. Then I set a few things up the way they were:

• Automatic backups
  • Import media
  • Configure Linn Subnet (yay!)
  • Setup Display on my Nvidia Shield Chromecast
  • a few minor other things

Feels so good to be back with Linn Streaming.
You deserve a ton of credit for leading us into the light! I think the odds are pretty good that this setup will be less likely to break.

Note: I knew how Docker containers worked in theory before but never actually used one for real. Itā€™s not too hard - so give it a shot!

3 Likes

Great write-up. Enjoy the music!

1 Like

Thanks for the hope!

It feels like weā€™re being hung out to dry on this.
I havenā€™t received or seen any communication from Roon that they acknowledge or are working open this issue.
Iā€™m starting to look at alternative NAS systems or dacs/streamer combos as this issue seems to be contained to Qnap and Linn equipment.
Has anyone seen any communication from Roon on this besides that it has been sent to the development team?

2 Likes

Everyone is screaming at Roon to fix the QNAP Roon Core package that broke after the latest Roon Core update. Problem is, itā€™s not a Roon supported product, so it is likely not Roonā€™s responsiblity to fix!

Roon supports their products on:

• Windows
  • MacOS X
  • Roon Rock (and Nucleus)

whereas the Synology and QNAP ports are COMMUNITY packages that are ā€œsupportedā€ by volunteers on a best-effort basis. Probably plenty of disclaimers in the license agreements.

Donā€™t blame Roon.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting post - thank you. Iā€™ve only ever used Roon on ROCK and, briefly, Windows. I didnā€™t realise those versions for QNAP and Synology werenā€™t official.

Michael

Sorry Paul, but Iā€™m not buying that. Here is the message they sent when they updated Roon last week and our (Linn/QNAP users) problems started:

As you can see, they specifically mention a fix for some Linn devices. This is fairly obvious the ā€˜Fixā€™ that has broke Linn for us QNAP users. As far as I am concerned it is their issue to resolve.

1 Like

No, not necessarily - that fix you mentioned could very well be a different problem altogether, not related to the OpenHome library problem that seems to be the issue here.

I refer you to the disclaimer on the bottom of the roononnas.org page:

ā€œI create the NAS packages in my spare time as a fun and educational project. If you would like to show your appreciation for the energy and resources I spend on this, and help to motivate me further, feel free to buy me a coffee.ā€