Linn Devices only showing up as AirPlay with QNAP Core after updating to build 1148 [Update Roon to Build 1154 (Linux Release Only)]

You certainly would be justified in buying new hardware or abandoning the platform altogether. Or, as I’ve already noted a couple of times, you could use your existing QNAP device and run Roon in a docker container using Container Station. You have everything you need to do this. The time (not much) and money (none) would be a lot less than the alternatives.

For history’s sake - When Synology released DSM 7, which was a major operating update, the Synology Roon package (and many other packages) required significant update. Roon didn’t work. I and many others moved to using Docker on Synology at that time.

Docker is simply a more compatible approach because a Docker container is essentially a fully isolated (sandboxes) operating system plus applications environment. When you run a package, as you are now, you are exposed to compatibility issues between any given Roon release and the package. And issues between the package and QNAP. And issues between QNAP and Roon. No such issues with a Docker approach. The downside is that because the container is its own operating system, it uses more system resources and can, in theory, be less performant. In my case, my Docker Roon install (on a Synology NAS) idles at less than 2% CPU of the Synology and never bursts higher than 15%. Your experience will vary.

It’s just too easy to set up in parallel to your current installations to not even give it a shot. Even if you don’t plan to use it that way long term, it can be a stopgap if or until Roon and @crieke sort the current issues out.

There are two posts already in this thread from me on it and then @droogstore actually went ahead and did it. His post would be the best place to start:

I hope more of you give this a try. There’s little or now downside to trying.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for this. I have had a look at doing this myself and have a couple of questions if you would be kind enough to answer.

1. Which ‘Roon Server’ did you install. There are several options available on the QNAP and I am not sure which one to select?
  2. Is it essential to remove the ROON app or can I simply just stop it running?

Cheers, Bill.

@John_Berry - I have done that. To many unsolved problems.

When I joined Roon back in April this year, I bought a silent NAS due to marketing QNAP/Roon. But the problems that I had, as never been fixed.

Torben

In the docs that @gTunes had shared, it tells you to use the image “steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver” from Docker Hub. If you’re not seeing it, you’re probably in the wrong place.

You will need to install Container Station on your QNAP first.

To your second question: I fully removed the installed Roon package via App Center. If you keep it and try the Docker version in parallel, things can become tricky. I would recommend to not reuse your existing data and backup folders then. You don’t want the two alternatives interfering with each other. In any case, you probably need to make sure that only one of them is running at any given time. I would expect that they want to use the same networking ports on the QNAP and that will cause issues.

Many thanks for the speedy reply. I am not seeing the image you mentioned. I am searching LXC. Do I need to look for LXD images? Sorry, new to this so appreciate your help and your thoughts on running them separate.

I would advise something slightly different. Definitely take @droogstore’s advice on not re-using the same data folder. Using the same backup folder is optional - Roon will already create a containing folder for the backups from each core so they won’t overlap or conflict.

I would personally disable, not uninstall, the existing package assuming that’s possible on QNAP. [EDIT] : I initially wrote that there’s not an issue running the package and the docker versions concurrently but I’m not sure about that. There may be port contention. I recommend disabling the one you’re not using if you have them both installed. But I would keep the package around in case it gets fixed and you decide to switch back.

1 Like

In Container Station, choose “Create” from the items on the left. Then, in the search box just below the header graphics on the right, enter “steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver” (without the quotes) and hit the magnifying glass. It should show you that image in the list below. Click Install on the right to proceed.

The only thing I’m unsure about is whether this process creates an lxc or an lxd container. We’ll see.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I now have it working (I think). The console view says it is running, but my Roon apps are unable to find the core, they just keep spinning and searching. I noticed you said you stopped them and restarted which I have tried to no avail.

Dear Team I have now same issue with Roon 2.0 (build 1148) on QNAP NAS running latest available QTS.
My Linn Streamer is only accessible via Apple AirPlay. Hope this can be changed and improved soon. Thanks

Hallo,
Same Problem. QNAP NAS and Linn Majik dsm3. Only Airplay.
Please help.

Thanks a lot

With your help, I know have Roon working and can get my Linn DS working with Qobuz. However, after hours trying to connect my music files and locate my Roon backup, I am lost. I don’t remember having this issue when I first set it up. Any help would be appreciated.

In order for your Music and Backup directories to be visible to Roon in the container, you have to map them in. If you look at the walkthrough I wrote up, you’ll see my description of how to do this on Synology. I assume there’s an equivalent way to do it in Container Station, but I don’t know the details. Perhaps @droogstore can help.

1 Like

Great to hear that you already got this far.

This is how I set up the Shared Folders in Container Station.

Careful with the “Media” folder. If you have such a thing, it needs to be with a capital M as there already is a “media” folder in the Docker image.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I don’t see the point why I would go through all that ordeal if the problem was caused by a Roon update…

2 Likes

It’s a thing you can do to restore the ability to use Roon with your existing equipment without resorting to AirPlay. It does not excuse Roon from accountability - Roon should be treating this with urgency and transparency. They are not. That’s beyond disappointing.

2 Likes

We don’t know that. They may be frantically working all hours trying to fix it. It would be great to know how they’re getting on.

1 Like

I wrote urgency and transparency. Transparency can be the difference between sympathetic customers and angry customers.

Indeed!

2 Likes

It’s nit-picking, but I think you are confusing transparency with detail. We’ve been told what’s happening - Roon are investigating.

I’m not angry, because personally I think that doesn’t help me or Roon. But on the essentials, we’re in agreement. It would be extremely helpful to know if there are any big obstacles still to overcome and whether I really need to invest a few hours working out how to install a docker container if I want to get any high-quality music in the next week.

Transparency create trust - lack off trust, creates uncertainty. “Roon are investigating” is the case for other QNAP issues - some of them more than 6 months old.

Does Roon ever give more detail on progress resolving issues?