ROCK problem after internet radio stopped abruptly

Hi, have been experiencing several times of having internet radio stopped playing with message saying radio cannot be played because address may have been changed. After this, all stations will not work. [Just discovered that all local music won’t play, too.]

I have to restart ROCK server for Roon to work again.

Hi @hk6230 — Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is always appreciated!

Moving forward, can you please provide me with the following:

1. An expanded description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please provide an example of a internet radio station you have made this observation with. A URL would be VERY appreciated.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Below is my setup:

1. ROCK OS V1.0b76, Roon V1.3b242 running on NUC 5i5RYH with 8GB RAM, M.2 SATA 128GB
  2. NAS: QNAP TS-212P
  3. ~23K tracks

One of the radio stations when the problem arises is http://82.94.166.107/stream/hionline.pls
The problem happened with other radio stations, too.

I hope the above is enough info.

Cheers.

Gary

Hi @hk6230 ----- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested information :thumbsup:

Our QA team is going to do some testing in house to see if this behavior is reproducible on our end. Once my report has been updated and passed back I will be sure to follow up with the team’s findings. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @hk6230 ----- Thank you for your patience while our team has been looking into this behavior for you.

Moving forward, they have been unable to reproduce the issue and have requested the following to help aide in their evaluation. Please see below.

1. How often do you notice this failure (i.e radio stopping abruptly)?

2. When you are listening to an internet radio station and it stops, are you still able to playback TIDAL content?

3. Logs…

• Very Important - please reproduce the issue and note the time when the observation is made.

“…internet radio stopped playing with message saying radio cannot be played because address may have been changed.”

• Once the issue has been replicated and the time noted … using the instructions found here, please upload us a set of logs.

-Eric

Hi Eric, I’m currently travelling and will.not be able to access my Roon till end august.

Cheers

Gary

1 Like

Eric–I had the same behavior 2 days ago…I do not know if I can get the logs from the right time period now as I don’t remember the exact day/time, and I don’t know how long your app keeps it’s logs. I have just started using radio (that same day) and it happened as I was trying to bounce between streams of SomaFM stations to test their audio quality between each other. If it happens again, I have made note of your page describing how to capture the logs, and I will try to do so.

Additionally, the app crashes on both the iPad and the mac server UI when you try to paste a radio station image in from the desktop/copied memory space. Consistently 100% of the time for me on both machines.

thanks, Jay

1 Like

Hi @Jay_Parsons ---- Thank you for chiming in and sharing your experience/feedback us!

Moving forward, here is what I would like to propose…

1. I have just started using radio (that same day) and it happened as I was trying to bounce between streams of SomaFM stations to test their audio quality between each other.
  • If this behavior can be reproduced, definitely send us logs from when the issue occurs.
  1. “Additionally, the app crashes on both the iPad and the mac server UI when you try to paste a radio station image in from the desktop/copied memory space. Consistently 100% of the time for me on both machines.”
  • I would like to investigate this a bit further since you are noting that you experience the same issue every time the mentioned action is performed. In the interest of not getting any information confused, may I kindly ask you to please start a new thread addressing the mentioned behavior and drop me a flag (i.e @Eric) so we can troubleshoot.

-Eric

I’m back and the problem arises again. Internet radio stops approximately 5-6 min of playing. Restarting any radio stations will not play, with the status bar sweeping left and right continuously. And, it won’t play local music files after this happened, too.

Hi Eric, should I send you the logs? I have updated all Roon to the latest build, including latest ROCK OS.

Hi @hk6230 ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing an update on this behavior.

Moving forward, I would like you to please reproduce the issue (i.e radio stoppage & failure to play local content), note the time when the observations is made, and then use the instructions found here to upload us a set of logs.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

The dropbox link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9xznwm5fzprll3/Logs-hk6230.zip?dl=0

The incident happens at my local time at around 13.12 (GMT+8)

Hope the above helps.

Thanks.

Gary

HI @hk6230 ---- Thank you for the follow up, confirming that the logs have been received.

You patience is very appreciated while we conduct our evaluation. I’'ll let you know asap what the team comes up with.

-Eric

Hi @hk6230 ----- Thank you for your patience while we have been evaluating the information found in your logs.

Our techs have reported back to me that they are noticing numerous traces in the provided logs that show your end points dropping communication with Roon and then attempting to reconnect. These types of traces often point to some kind of network performance issue.

With the above in mind may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with a description of your network configuration/topology as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of what the “chain of communication” looks like and the devices involved.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I have a 100Mbps Fiber Broadband router which connects to TPlink Gigabits switch. ROCK/NUC is connected to the switch. My LS50W is connected via USB to ROCK/NUC.

Gary

Hi @hk6230 ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback, both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, can you verify for me the exact model TPLink switch you are implementing? If this is a managed switch, I would recommend enabling flow control on the device, and see if things improve.

-Eric

Hi Eric, it is TL-SG108E Gigabits Easy Smart Switch. Btw, playing local music from local NAS has no problem. So, I doubt it is the switch issue. May be my internet provider and/or the router problem. I will try to ask for a router replacement and see if it helps.

Meanwhile, if there is any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Gary

Hi @hk6230 ---- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested information.

Moving forward, I would like to just clarify something with you based on one of your posts from above. In your most recent you said that there is now issue playing local content from the NAS, however, you previously stated the following:

“I’m back and the problem arises again. Internet radio stops approximately 5-6 min of playing. Restarting any radio stations will not play, with the status bar sweeping left and right continuously. And, it won’t play local music files after this happened, too.”

Which is leading me to believe that that is not just an issue with your ISP or router. I would consider looking into/trying the following:

1) Try pinging "Google.com"

If the remote is running Windows…

• Launch Roon and minimize the application.
  • Please open a command prompt session.
  • Type in the following command and hit enter:
    ping google.com -t
  • Let the command run for a few minutes while using Roon, making sure you are trying to stream an internet radio station that you aren noticing these “stops” with.
  • After you have let the command run please enter to stop the test:
    ctrl+c
  • What were the results of the “ping”?

If the remote is running OSX…

• Launch Roon and minimize the application.
  • Please open “Terminal”.
  • Type the following command and hit enter.
    ping google.com
  • Let the command run for a few minutes while using Roon, making sure you are trying to stream an internet radio station that you aren noticing these “stops” with.
  • After you have let the command run please enter to stop the test:
    ctrl+c
  • What were the results of the “ping”?

2) Bypass the siwtch and mount your NUC directly to your router.

• Please verify the make/model of router you are using.

3) On the TL-SG108E (smart switch)

• Check to see if you are making use of JUMBO frames.

• Enabling flow control on this device.

-Eric

Uh-oh - the dreaded TL-SG108E switch. It gave me no end of problems before I kicked it out and replaced it with an unmanaged switch…

1 Like

Hi Eric, pinging google.com while running Roon, doesn’t show abnormalities. Moving the NUC/ROCK to connect directly to the router doesn’t help; same problem. The router is ISP provided Zyxel PMG5318-B20B.