Roon Core cannot be accessed by Roon ARC via AVM Fritz!Box

Roon Core Machine

macOS 13.4. Apple MacBook Air 13", M2, 24 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

AVM Fritz!Bix 6660 Cable, AVM Fritz!WLAN Mesh Repeater 2400, also Ethernet via NetGear GS305 LAN Switch 5 Port

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    Vodafone

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    See above: AVM Fritz!Bix 6660 Cable

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node, Bluesound Pulse Mini, Bluesound Pulse Flex

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

{
“ipv6_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“37.hhh.iii.jjj”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a02:aaa:bbb:ccc:ddd:eee:fff:ggg”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.178.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“>\n<s:Body>\n<s:Fault>\ns:Client\nUPnPError\n\n<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">\n606\nUnknown Error Code\n\n\n</s:Fault>\n</s:Body>\n</s:Envelope>”}
}

Currently, I have activated UPnP as can be seen in the Diagnostics data. However, I have tried all the steps listed on https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/arc-port-forwarding. The diagnostics data looks very much the same as one year ago, when I first tried out ARC, and also left a support message, but to no avail. I am disappointed that Roon hasn’t worked towards making the process less error prone in over a year, despite constructive proposals from the community.

Have you tried manually setting the port forwarding rule for ARC?

I found that with my Fritz!Box ( a 7530) it was a two-step process. First, enable UPnP and second, permit independent port sharing for the ROCK/NUC via the Network > Settings page for the device.

I did not need to manually set the port sharing - once I had UPnP and the independent port sharing set, the UPnP configured things automatically…

1 Like

Hi @Heiko_Kiessling ,

Have you been able to resolve this issue with @Geoff_Coupe 's suggestions or are you still having difficulties with getting ARC set up? If so, please let us know, thanks!

Hi, Noris,

no, unfortunately, I‘m still having difficulties, I forgot to answer because I already knew these suggestions but had no luck with them. Would be great if Roon could follow the advice of the open letter from one year ago – thanks!

Best
Heiko

Hi @Heiko_Kiessling,

We’d be happy to assist, but we first need to clearly list the obstacles presented by your network infrastructure and ISP and whether they are within our control:

ISP: Vodafone Germany blankets their residential-tier accounts in carrier-grade network address translation. This blocks ARC’s most basic connection mechanism, which is autoconfigured port forwarding via your router’s pre-installed UPnP or NATPMP.

One solution to this is to reach out to Vodafone for a dedicated external IPv4 address. Many Vodafone Germany users did so during #earlyaccess testing of ARC. Note that your account tenure and tier will influence their offerings and this is outside of Roon’s control.

If you have tried all the suggestions in the KB article as you mentioned above, then you should follow the above suggestion.

LOCAL NETWORK

1. The diagnostic message in Roon → Settings → ARC simply indicates the UPnP status of the router to which your Core is connected. If you are receiving the same message as a year ago, then the router’s UPnP protocol remains incompatible with Roon.

UPnP port forwarding will often fail if the Core is behind another smart device (like a mesh node or smart switch) that can interfere with multicast, DNS, or DHCP. I strongly recommend you test with your Core hardwired to the main router, and not any of the mesh units mentioned in your original post.

I then suggest you verify you have a) updated your Fritz!Box firmware to the latest build to guarantee the UPnP stack isn’t outdated, b) disabled any firewalls, and c) followed @Geoff_Coupe’s suggestions. Please post any diagnostics that you see after that.

Thank you and we’ll follow closely to assist from there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.