Roon not working in portrait mode on iPad Pro [Solved - Update Roon to 1.6]

I just started running Roon on a new iPad Pro (2018) 12.9 inch. It works well in landscape (horizontal) mode. But in portrait mode (vertical orientation) it always comes up in landscape. It’s the only app I’ve seen do this and very frustrating. My setup requires I mount the iPad in portrait orientation, and Roon is unusable.

I love Roon, please fix this!
@support

Roger

Following up, I notice it does the same on my old iPad Air, I guess I just hadn’t noticed or had the need to mount it in portrait mode.

Rotating the iPad does not fix it by the way, I know once and a while an app will get mixed up about its orientation and come up he wrong way, usually you can fix it by rotating the device a bit.

Is this a design limitation? I.e. intentional?
@support.

Roger

This is intentional. On Apple tablet devices the horizontal orientation is the default and only one to use most of the screen real estate. On mobile phones Roon has a vertical orientation.

On the last generation iPad Pro12.9" you can still use Roon in either orientation. Horizontal or vertical.

1 Like

Known issue on the new, third generation (2018) iPad Pro 12.9”

I had reached out to Roon privately about a month ago at the launch, and I was told it’s being worked on, and it will be fixed in the next iOS app update.

1 Like

Thank you! I don’t mind waiting, as long as it’s being addressed.

Hello @sharpnine,

Thanks for your feedback regarding this behavior. As @thyname mentioned, a ticket has been filed and is currently pending review by the dev team. I will be sure to let you know once it has been addressed in our next iOS update and I appreciate your patience while this occurs on our end.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks!

This issue was fixed within a few days last year (2017) when the 2nd gen iPad Pro 13" came out.

This time is taking a bit longer

Hello All,

I wanted to touch base with some good news and let you know that we’ve made some changes in Roon version 1.6 which should address this issue. Please update your Core + Roon Remote and let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
Noris

Yes! It was fixed! that’s the first thing I noticed with the 1.6. Very happy!

1 Like

It works great!! Thanks. And screen updates are so fast!
Beautiful update.
Roger

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: iPad Pro 12.9 Upside-Down Portrait Mode

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.