Roon requires fullscreen due to small resolution ( = 3200x1800)

A minor, but sometimes it is practical to not run Roon in fullscreen. This should be possible on this screen resolution, but Roon misinterprets something as demoed in the error notification. Please consider always allowing non-fullscreen mode (sometimes it works)

This was also reported 1.5 year ago. Hope somebody in Roon read support requests.

Mais ou sont les neiges d’antan?

OK, but what’s the problem? Sometimes it works, so there is a possibility at the table here. I want to present a loose observation that this problem seems to popup more often after an update.

I’m having the same problem, lenovo yoga laptop with screen resolution 3840x2160 Roon is the only program that I have problems with. Some advice please.

Thanks

Mike

and because you seem to have a technical background, I responded in a very detailed manner, explaining the technical issues and the product ramifications, compromises and ideas to explore.

Seriously? Short memory or are you purposely being antagonistic? If you care to get responses in the future, I suggest a change in tone and reread the thread above.

3 Likes

@Mike_Durham – you need to change your dpi setting in windows.

This was covered below and in other topics as well.

I have read the linked replies and yes if I change the % to 250 Roon works but then everything else is too small, one of the reasons for the purchase of this laptop was because of its display and my failing/ageing eyesight it was one of the few screens that I could use for extended times. Therefore why should I suffer trying to use the other programs including your website to type this because Roon is different. Might I suggest that you relook at the way your display interface works so that it adapts like all other programs do.

Regards

Mike

@danny Yes. Short memory, I am afraid, and besides, I did not understand that your comment above was a link to the previous discussion. I read it now. Sorry for that, but understand that users will sometimes report things on the fly, while our day is really filled with other matters than being roon bug reporters. Unintentional slights could happen.

However, please note that this is (more or less) a Roon only problem, and that the error message is still very confusing. See also other comments above along the same line, i.e. your earlier suggestions have unwanted sideeffects when using the laptop for other things.

Until this problem is solved, why don’t you replace the error notification with something that the users can understand better?

On the cause of error:

It could be I have a point in that this is a “startup” problem after a Roon update. Take a look at the screenshot of today, now it is working again. I am running this Samsung at 1920, and I also did that yesterday when updating to 1.4, but due to the error I then tried a switch to 3200 for test, and made a screenshot based on that. So the malfunction took place in both formats.

It must be relevant to ask if there is something in a fresh install/update that provokes this error?

1 Like

You still haven’t told us your dpi scaling setting. It might be working as designed or it might be a bug. We can’t tell until we know what your set-up is.

BTW, see that little animated bubble on the focus button? Click it. That is the cause of the cpu usage you reported via PM.

I would vote for that. This is very complicated stuff I still don’t really understand but it took 18 months reading similar threads before the penny dropped on any level. This has been too late to stop me purchasing yet another TV that only works with roon in full screen mode. So now we own two. It is very heavy going for someone like me but reading between the lines there was probably a combination of make / model / screen size / resolution / spec that could be used in full windows mode whilst seated at a distance.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Windows Requires Full Screen: Setting A Custom Scale Factor

the error message is correct for 99% of cases, and just a handful of people with large scale factors have this issue.

It is repeated that this is a minor annoyance that doesnt drastically reduce the user experience of using Roon.

The problem is not related to Samsung. If anything, it is related to intel graphics. I just did a first time install on another of our PCs, a Sony Vaio ultrabook limited to 1920x (and isn’t THAT the 99% industry default these days?). It has the same or very similar INTEL graphics to drive the screen as Samsung uses on ativ 9+ with its 3200x. Result:

1. Same fullscreen error notification; screen resolution too small
  2. At initial startup, the splash is big (normal)
  3. At subsequent startups, the splash is much smaller, indicative of something going on with the scaling.
  4. After PC restart: No change in these results. I will try again tomorrow and report if the Vaio behaves like the Samsung in that non-fullscreen becomes possible.
  5. Right-clicking roon.exe and running the compatibility troubleshooter is not helpful, and the “disable display scaling on high dpi settings” checked or unchecked is not helpful. (Same result as the Samsung). There is one difference, though, in that the initial splash moves from an awkward posistion “medium left” to a more logic position “screen centre”, if the “disable display scaling…” is checked.

Double checking Roon again on the Samsung Ativ 9+, it may run in non fullscreen also today. Triple checking by yet another Roon startup, the problem is back; “full screen once again mandatory”.

@Danny, dpi scaling is not going to be changed here for reasons and sideeffects outlined by others in this thread and lack of importance, but it should be a good hint for your investigation that after an update this error notoriouly pops up again, only to be gone again the next day, arrive again from one Roon startup to the next, etc. Whether you are fighting Windows, Intel, or a bug in Roon, we don’t know, but it looks like this is something that could be fixed.

On the animated bubble, it looks exactly like it did the other day; animated, only today, the Roon remote (Samsung) is running at .4% cpu. This issue deserves its own thread as my time allows. I shall study behaviour for a couple of days first.

Do you have your taskbar set to auto hide? Or always on? Try setting it to auto hide.

Let me know if that let’s Roon work without fullscreen mode.

Also, I need your dpi/scale setting, regardless of whether it is changable in your opinion. Im not asking you to change it. I’m asking what it is.

If you can’t tell me what I ask for while trying to diagnose the issue, you are acting as a “hostile user”. Your personal diagnosis is really not helpful, nor does it get to us closer to a solution. Get me the information I need or move on.

@Mike_Durham: as you are also having this problem, can you tell me:

• your windows dpi/scaling setting
  • your devices resolution setting in windows
  • your devices native pixel resolution
  • the position and auto hide setting of your windows taskbar

Danny

Scale 300% recommended
resolution 3840 x 21160 recommended
taskbar always on at the bottom of the screen

Mike

You are getting free help from paying customers to enhance Roons compliance to the worlds most used operating system Windows 10, help that may evidentally contribute to your turnover. If I am to move on, it is suggested that you spend the coming holiday trying to calm down.

You ask for specific info, but you don’t need my information because you already knew 1.5 year ago that Roon is not in compliance with non-fullscreen mode use based on the industry standard screen resolution of 1920x1080 combined with the MS recommendation for default scaling of 150%, which is obviously also the case here. Taskbar autohide is not helpul.

This status is your choice if you prefer, but the final solution, as explained by others here, is not to deviate from MS recommendations. That recommendation is proper. I finally state that WHEN Roon works in this screen mode, the display is perfect. There are no visible disadvantages. Thus, it’s a goal.

This has nothing to do with compliance with Windows – we are complying with Windows perfectly, and deciding you have not given us enough real estate to work with.

The Roon product/dev team feels that the behavior of the Roon application is compliant on Windows, and that we are going out of our way to do the right thing here. I personally feel that 1280x720 (1920x1080 / 1.5 = 1280x720) is a very low virtual resolution, and not at all taking advantage of your hardware. If you had a 1280x720 screen, we would not run on it without fullscreen mode. This is well advertised in the minimum requirements for running Roon.

You are free to feel differently, but note that nothing is going to change here.

We have offered you solutions (see above) ranging from system-wide changes to Roon-only changes to do-nothing. Pick one and move on.

And I often accept that help, and put it to good use. However, in this case, I have determined your help to not be useful or constructive. There is no requirement that I must use your definition of help.

I absolutely do not doubt that you are going out your way to make things as good as possible, and you are also successful at that. The natural cycle of software development is that there is always a potential improvement in pipeline. Maybe you have identified more important issues to work with. Merry Christmas.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Windows Requires Full Screen: Setting A Custom Scale Factor

@danny, in case Roon would reconsider at a future point of time, I got curious and investigated a little. In the screenshot I have tricked Roon to work non-fullscreen by increasing scaling Windows from 125% to 150% while Roon is active.

It could be there is a simple solution along these lines:

1. In “album overview” mode, reduce the number of minimum allowed rows from three to two, this way the minimum height of the Roon window will be less than screen height when Windows is set to 150% scaling mode. (Haven’t calculated but it looks like this is a valid assumption)

2. In the “album play” mode; the screenshot, make sure the black “player handles window” is not attached below other window segments, but only and always to the bottom of the Roon window, and with Z-value so that it is always on top of other window segments. In the screenshot, the player handles window is positioned below the screen bottom due to the rescaling trick. In Android, this would in a relative layout be: "attachParentBottom = “true”.

Should solve the problem at least in these two window types.