Roon search extremely slow - how to fix it? BUILD 1353

Well as long as we don’t get any feedback on this from the Roon team it’s all speculating and not necessarily getting us ahead.

I’m in the UK — and performance is variable. Sometimes it’s smooth other times not, and rebooting the server (Nucleus Plus) makes little difference. I have a very large library: 56,720 albums, mostly on a NAS, with a small percentage on Qobuz.

1 Like

I have a quick question - what if you jsut did filtering of albums instead of searching? I know it will bring only results in your library, but just curious how it performs when search is slow vs. when search is fast. Is there a corelation, i.e. is filtering also slow/fast?

Okay, I just rebooted my Nucleus Plus (32 Gigs memory) and searched for “Led Zeppelin! - 12 seconds to get a result and a few seconds to load the band page.

Using Focus to filter it took 28 seconds to show the result.

I have a bookmarked filter for “Stravinsky”, which took 6 seconds to display the results.

Past experience suggests that these figures can change every day, or even every few hours, and that Roon remote sometimes disconnects from the server when I search (eventually it reconnects).

1 Like

Same here - I have over 150k tracks (about 9k albums), and no performance issues for me.

Curious - does this 28 seconds change daily/hourly? The “Led Zeppelin” search results - are those only from local files, or online too, i.e. do you have a mixture of albums local and Tidal/Qobuz in your library?

I would have to do the search hourly to provide an answer, but searches regularly perform slowly.

A search will be across my local library and Qobuz, a filter just across my library (which can include some Qobuz items).

The position seems to be this: some people are having problems they were not having before the most recent update, others are not, and no-one knows why.

Absent any input from Roon support, I’m not sure it can be taken any further at present.

1 Like

What if you did a filter for something, that you know will not hit Qobuz, i.e. that will return only from your local - is that still that slow?
And please don’t spend time trying hourly, I am only a user trying to see some patterns, and relate them to size of library and hitting Tidal/Qobuz for searching…

If I filter albums instead of searching the results from my local library comes up immediately…

I just did a filter for an album that is only in my local library, and it was returned in 4 seconds. A search returned it, and others, in 10 seconds.

Not too bad at the moment - I can live with that - but I’ve recently rebooted the server and results are usually slower after a day or so. In the past, I’ve had to reboot the server every 7 days or so, but now after 4 days everything grinds to a halt.

(Deleted, I misread)

Strange. As far as filtering goes, I’ve always had mostly instantaneous, almost 90K tracks, (900 local cds, otherwise Qobuz) ROCK on Nuclear 7i5. So if it’s something I know I have, I filter. I mostly search for new names I discover.

Did you misread albums for tracks? Those are 56K albums, 10 songs average in an album, that is over 560K tracks, and Roon quotes: “If you have over 250K+ tracks in your library, consider us impressed!”

I would have thought that this is what Roon consider a large library - 56 700 Albums must be half a million or more tracks That is twice the 250 000 tracks that the quoted article calls a large library.

Thanks for pointing this out, I did indeed misread the post. Don’t eat and post! I edited my post to avoid confusion

For the avoidance of doubt, it’s 629,660 tracks, with only a small percentage on Qobuz as part of my library.

I acknowledge that’s a pretty hefty library - hence my NAS and 32 Gigs RAM on my Nucleus Plus. I also accept that there will be some performance issues with such a large library, but since the last upgrade, I (and others) are experiencing problems we didn’t have before.

1 Like

Have you thought about (or actually done) an upgrade to the internal SSD (the one dedicated to the OS and library) of the Nucleus +? I am certain the original SSD can be upgraded for a better one, and theoretically it should improve performance, but don’t quote me on this, just a suggestion.

I’d not heard of that before as a performance improvement. I’m not really an expert and wouldn’t know how to upgrade the existing SSD.

I just happend to read similar topics recently:

I have a Nucleus Plus, Rev B.