Roon UI too white - Windows 10

Same here with the UI since v521 looking washed out. I did not change anything to my device but since I installed the latest update it is like the screen is too bright and the contrast is too low. This is only in the Roon app. Normally I use the light theme but it was uncomfortably light and washed out to use, but I see the same issue in the dark theme. The entire background is now a dark gray rather than the black it used to be.
I’m running Windows 10 on an old Dell Venue 8 pro tablet as my controller.

Hi @CraigK,

I have split your post into it’s own thread so we can have a better understanding of this issue. Can you please let me know the following?

1. What is your graphics card model and driver version? You can find this information in Windows Device Manager under Display Adapters.

2. Is there any change in behavior if you update your graphics drivers to the newest version?

3. Can you share a screenshot of what the Roon UI looks like on your end with the light theme?

4. What is your Core model/manufacturer?

Hello,

We’ve released a new update, Roon 1.7 Build 528, which contains improvements that we believe will help with the issues you are experiencing here. Please see our release notes below:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs

No improvement following upgrade to Build 528. I’m sorry I am unable to share a screenshot. It’s a small tablet and I have a hard time grabbing a screenshot with the on-screen keyboard. It’s a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. About 5 years old that I wasn’t using for anything else. It’s actually a perfect device for a Roon controller. The “light” theme is extremely bright, low contrast and washed out. Hurts my eyes. The “dark” theme is more usable, but it is as if the brightness is turned all the way up still. Areas that used to be pure black are now a medium gray. The normal Windows 10 OS colors and all other applications still look totally normal. This is a Roon only issue, and only since the last “upgrade”.

Hello Craig
I have the same issue since upgrade to 528, bright like hell :cold_sweat:

A user with the same hardware was able to resolve the problem:

I was surprised that Dell actually had updated BIOS firmware for such an old device! I updated with the most recent firmware from 2020. There is no separate video driver for this Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. I assume it’s part of the chipset driver, which was already current. But I re-installed the most recent version of that too just in case. Unfortunately there has been no change to the over-brightness issue. Never had any issue before (since Windows 3.1) with a specific program not adopting the overall general Windows display properties. I do appreciate the follow-up from the Roon team. The dark theme is good enough for now, but there is still an issue to be resolved. (Light theme still hurts the eyes.) Something definitely got changed in v521 to cause this.

Hi @CraigK,

I’d like to take another look at this behavior for QA’s investigation into this issue, can you please let me know the above information I requested?

Additionally, can you please submit a copy of your Roon logs from the affected machine by using these instructions?

The best way to get them over would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive link but if you don’t have either service just let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.

Thanks!

Thanks for the follow up Noris. I really appreciate it. I apologize for the delay in getting this to you. I was having a hard time working with the touch screen on the windows tablet to get the information.

The graphics driver just shows as Intel HD Graphics, which I understand is somewhat of a generic driver. I think it is customized from Dell as part of the Venue 8 Pro tablet chipset. There is no dedicated graphics driver available.

The below link is a ZIP file with the Roon logs, details about the machine hardware, as well as screenshots of both the light and dark themes. In person, on the actual tablet, the screen images are even a bit brighter. I used a docking station and external monitor to capture everything so that may have somewhat reduced the intensity, but it is still way too bright. Either way, it is much brighter and more washed out than the rest of the general windows theme on the tablet.

[Download link hidden by support]

Let me know anything else you may need. Thanks again for the follow up and ongoing support.

2 Likes

Hi @CraigK,

Thanks for the information and logs, I have forwarded them to QA for analysis and also hidden the download link (just in case).

Please leave the files uploaded for the time being and if we require any further info, we will reach out once more, thanks!

Hello @CraigK,

We’ve recently released Roon Build 536 which includes changes that we believe will help improve things here. Please give Roon an update on all of your devices and let us know if you still have any trouble!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs

SUCCESS! It installed 1.7-537 on the ROCK and the windows tablet controller. All looks good now. Much more comfortable on the eyes. Thank you!

1 Like

Glad to hear that the update helped @CraigK!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.