This device does not support Roon 2.0

My iPhone pulled the Roon app update today. Now I can’t use Roon anymore.

After some searching, I found that you expect me to use a “legacy” controller app now. So I installed that, but it still doesn’t want to talk to the core.

What’s the plan now? Very disappointing. When were you going to tell me that I need to spend hundreds of Pounds for a hardware upgrade? What sort of strategy is that which leaves me with a broken system after an automated software update, out of the blue on a random evening?

I hope there’s something I’m missing.

2 Likes

No answer? Well…

So I see this: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-1-8-2-0-migration-faq-16-9-2022#RoonOS_Core_18_Legacy_Nucleus__ROCK

Lots of text, many sections on that page. But the important detail is missing: do you mean to say that I need to change my Mac OS installation to “1.8 Legacy” even though I already have 1.8 installed, to be compatible with the “1.8 Legacy” controller app? In other words, are 1.8 and “1.8 Legacy” two different things and you need me to make that change manually?

I looked up and down several times and I can’t see this — somehow the document assumes that I have already updated to 2.0. This doesn’t make sense to me! Surely the most important reason to stick to 1.8 is that I cannot go to 2.0, but this scenario is apparently ignored by the KB article.

1 Like

Well I’m waiting for somebody from Roon to clarify this point. Don’t have time to be fiddling with what I thought was a stable installation of a Hifi appliance.

Plus, my Roon core (Mac Mini) has always been able to update itself so far, so it’s inexplicable to me why it would suddenly require manual intervention to perform the most important update of them all.

1 Like

Don’t be so disheartened. I’m sure all of us at one time or another have not read release notes, or checked websites/forums before upgrading a piece of software. Or, allow apps to self update rending it useless…

So now I don’t upgrade unless I’ve tested (beta) or, wait till it’s officially out with release notes and feedback.

It doesn’t look like to much of an issue to downgrade. I hope you get back up and running. And if you get stuck, we’re all here to help! :grinning::+1:t2:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Where to get legacy roon 1.8?

A post was split to a new topic: iPhone crashing after 2.0 update

You use the new 1.8 (Legacy) version which was also released.

Good morning,

One more day goes by without a reaction by people at Roon. I posted to this forum because I was told this was the official support channel. Why are there no official replies then?

I appreciate that others have chimed in, who have taken more time than I and tracked down possible solutions. I will do that, too, when I have time. Meanwhile, I still expect Roon to step forward with answers and comments on several points:

• Confirmation of the fact that “1.8 Legacy” is the way forward, and that the upgrade required on affected systems is a manual one. In spite of experience reports in this thread, these details are still not officially documented anywhere I have seen, nor do they make the most sense. I’d like to hear an official statement in this regard before I start taking that route.
  • Clarification of the intended path for users of legacy hardware. Clearly everybody in this thread has been taken by surprise. I would like to hear if this was intended — or rather that it was not! — and I want assurances for the future. I have invested in hardware to support my Roon installation, now you’re expecting me to invest more to stay on top of your new release, and I want promises from you as the software manufacturer that whenever a next time comes, there will be a better planned and communicated process.
  • Clarification of the intended path for users of legacy hardware — part 2. The language in the migration document linked in this thread is extremely unclear, seemingly on purpose. I’d like to know, if I jump through all the hoops now to get onto “1.8 Legacy”, how long will that last me. I don’t think it’s acceptable under the circumstances to NOT make any statement in this regard.

Perhaps there is more, I don’t know. In summary, I have been extremely disappointed by the way this update has been handled, and right now my disappointment is getting worse because I have not received acknowledgement or support by Roon that these issues will be resolved. I was very happy with my Roon system, I paid you for this software, and you went and broke it — that fact is quite inexcusable in my eyes, and the very least thing I expect you to do is accept responsibility and help with the aftermath.

Thanks
Oli

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Error updating roon 1.8 to 2.0

8 posts were split to a new topic: Cant connect legacy 1.8 to 1.8 stable

clarified and confirmed. if you cant run 2.0 because your OS is too old, you will need to run 1.8 legacy. 1.8 stable will always try to update to 2.0, 1.,8 Legacy will not.

1 Like

Unfortunately 1.8 Legacy Remote seems to have lost the ability to control Roon from the iOS locked screen. That was a very useful feature in 1.8 Stable. (restarting the iOS device did not restore this.)

@danny Thanks for replying, even though you ignored most of the points I asked for. I’ll give it a try to get my system up and running again, but you sure missed a chance to impress — must be so hard to say sorry for the mess you caused.

there is a lot going on… i see 3 points of yours, ill address them quickly:

1. i confirmed that for you 1.8 Legacy is the correct solution
  2. users of hardware or operating systems not supported by Roon 2.0 but that are supported by 1.8 should run Roon 1.8 Legacy so they are not bugged to update to 2.0.
  3. About 1.8 and how long it will last for you, I thought it was clearly articulated in the migration guide:

For how long can I use 1.8?

Roon will provide ongoing support for 1.8 installation for some time after the release of 2.0, depending on the Roon 2.0 adoption rates. However, if you are more comfortable using Roon 1.8, you can always continue to run it on your own after the official support period ends.

Can I still move to 2.0 later?

Yes, you can move from a Roon 1.8 build to Roon 2.0 at any time in the future.

Maybe it’ll be helpful for you to understand that we previously have never allowed anyone to go back to older revisions of Roon. We released Roon 1.8 Legacy ONLY for users that would not be able to run 2.0, but could run 1.x.

There is a point in the migration guide about how long you can do this for:

Can I downgrade from Roon 2.0 to Roon 1.8 anytime?

The answer is (unfortunately) no. The window to downgrade will be open for approximately 6 weeks from the release of Roon 2.0. During this time you can move back to 1.8 by following the instructions below.

All of this is written in the migration doc. I’ve just taken half of it and pasted it here.

If you have other questions or you think I didn’t answer your previous questions adequately, or the above linked migration doc doesn’t cover them (please take some time to read and understand the migration doc), then feel free to ask me to clarify.

One thing to note is that I do not ever talk about “legacy hardware” like you do. Roon does not care about “old” hardware, only “” software. That’s why we talk about unsupported hardware and software and Roon 1.8 Legacy.

I’m sorry for the mess we’ve made you go through. We strive to make all releases as painless as possible, so please give us your patience when things are not as smooth as we both wish they were.

It’s been a very busy release, and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner on your other points. I’ve been terse and maybe even a bit short on many of my posts because of the workload. Note that my intention with this explanation is purely to explain, not to excuse the response time.

I hope you get your Core running 1.8 Legacy shortly and the music is back in your life.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Go back to 1.8 (not legacy)

Hi Danny,

I have now migrated my Mac Mini Core to 1.8 Legacy. That change process was straight-forward and caused no trouble – had to give the 1.8 Remote on an iPad a couple of restarts but then the Core was found and started working as before, immediately.

I appreciate your last message, however I have a couple comments:

I see that your text says “Roon will provide ongoing support for 1.8… for some time …” – that’s the kind of rather unclear language I was referring to. I see that your quote also states we can keep using 1.8 after the official support period – I don’t recall seeing that previously, but perhaps I missed it.

Well, dropping support for a generation of hardware is a special circumstance if I ever saw one.

This point never applied to me since I didn’t upgrade in the first place. So I didn’t read it. If you look back to my original posts, you’ll find that I pointed out specifically how the document appeared to ignore the actual situation I was in, referring only to those who had somehow upgraded although they couldn’t/shouldn’t (whatever sense that makes).

Danny, my main point is – and has been the entire time – that we should not need to read a migration doc. For clarity, here’s what should have happened:

• My old Mac Mini can clearly detect that it’s not supported by the 2.0 upgrade. It should have detected this several months ago and instructed the remote to display a friendly message: “Within the next few months, Roon is going to move to a new version of the underlying runtime software, which will unfortunately mean that we are unable to continue supporting the hardware of your Roon Core device. We are not taking this step lightly, but we are determined to keep adding value to Roon, and we need to take a step on this occasion that leads to incompatibilities with certain older systems. We will do our best to provide upgrade instructions closer to the release date, and to support your hardware with a stable “Legacy” Roon version that will remain available to you indefinitely. Alternatively, if you are as excited about the upcoming Roon features (link) as we are, we recommend you investigate possible hardware upgrades that will be compatible with Roon 2.0. (link to new spec list)”

• As we got closer to the release date, my remote should have then reminded me occasionally, in a non-intrusive yet persistent way.

• Eventually, at release time, my Mac Mini should automatically offer to side-grade to “1.8 Legacy” – why this requires manual intervention is beyond me. Of course you could have always requested confirmation through the Remote first, but it’s extremely strange that you would suddenly require someone to faff around with a hardware device they haven’t touched in years and may never have installed themselves.

• Finally, the Remote – I think it’s a good decision to create a separate app, but where was the link? My existing Roon app updated itself to 2.0 and was thereby unusable to me. In the hypothetical situation where the Core would have gone to “1.8 Legacy” automatically, this would still have happened. So why didn’t the 2.0 Remote app simply display a prominent link to the App Store entry for the “Roon 1.8” app, with explanation text?

• So, optimally, the upgrade process would have been this. I receive the latest app upgrade on my device, so I’m suddenly on Remote 2.0. The Remote discovers that my server is not compatible and can’t be upgraded to 2.0, so it tells me this and asks for confirmation to side-grade the server to “1.8 Legacy”. I click okay, then I see the link to the Remote App “Roon 1.8”. I click it, confirm installation in the App Store and open the app, which finds my server also running “1.8 Legacy” now. I connect. Process done - no hassle, no stress, two minutes. Why on earth did you not do it this way?

I don’t mind “giving you my patience” and I’ve done nothing else in this thread. I admit my tolerance is somewhat limited if I have the impression – as was the case here – that somebody didn’t “do their homework” to begin with. Outlining the process above took me no longer than five minutes, and most of that was typing. Yes, I do things like that for a living, but so do others and I hope you employ them – it’s not rocket science.

For the time being the topic is closed for me. I’m off to listen to some music now. And not to forget, in spite of all the hassle – thank you for the software, Roon. I still love what 1.8 does when it runs!