iOS devices crashing shortly after startup [See staff post]

933 sorted this issue for me. Same phone.

I seem to be sorted as well.

935 seems to have reintroduced the crash for me. Anyone else?

2 Likes

935 crashes for me on my iPhone yes. iPad version is rock solid.

2 Likes

Same here. Itā€™s back. Again Roon is the one and only app doing this.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall having crashes before but today the remote crashes on my iPhone reliably. It doesnā€™t run long enough for me to pick anything to play. :frowning:

Version 1.8.00935 appears to have been automatically installed yesterday.

Edit: Restarting the iPhone appears to help. I donā€™t have any VPNs configured. I do have two SIMs installed and active, but Iā€™m on Wi-Fi when using Roon.

2 Likes

Yup, the newest version (935) is back to crashing. It was fixed (or at least didnā€™t happen) in the previous version. Seems like your server hotfix broke your iphone-fix again.

OT:
Considering the amount of stuff going south in the past few buildsā€¦do you guys do any regression testing? If so, it looks like you donā€™t do enough regression testingā€¦

4 Likes

Still crashing here with the latest update (935).

1 Like

A data point. My wife has the same model phone, same network etc obviously, and roon does not crash on her phone, but does on mine (also doesnā€™t crash on my ipad).

Also on 935 and app is crashing all the time. Usually after 20-ish seconds. Doesnā€™t matter if I use the app or just leave it be.
Very annoying. I totally agree with the remark on regression testing.

Model: iPhone SE 2020

1 Like

@support - could we have an update on your activity re this re-occuring issue. If there is some?

3 Likes

The IOS app is unusable this weekend. If you search, it crashes, if you add something to the library, it crashes. If you check the signal path, you get the ideas.

Seems like this is a very well documented issue across many iOS devices and versions of ios.

@support what are you doing about this? Thanks

1 Like

I have started having crashes on loading the app, itā€™s causing my iPad Pro 12.9 to restart, logs are available if anyone from @support needs them.
The core is Windows 11 64 Pro (Headless) but auto update is disabled so, in theory, no recent updates.
iPadOS 15.4.1

3 posts were split to a new topic: Roon crashes on startup. This occurred after Windows update

Another update/data point. Using build 943, Roon seems stable now. I donā€™t know if this happened around the app update or not, but there have not been other changes in my network.

EDIT: I take it back. Itā€™s crashing again. I donā€™t know what changed.

I am in the 15 day intro period and while I initially LOVED this capability and the quality of the whole experience, I am also experiencing my iPhone13 dropping out after a just few short seconds. It worked for the first day and now nothing else fixes this. I see from the string here that this problem isnā€™t new and isnā€™t close to resolution. I canā€™t operate with things the way they are so Iā€™ll cancel my subscription hoping that my email will be saved and maybe the staff can notify users who sign up for a trial and discover these issues. Iā€™d come back if I knew this would work as it is intended.

Welcome to the community Scott, presumably you have already rebooted core, phone etc.?

Still crap on my iPhone SE 2020
Please fix this Roon. I am now playing Spotify.
Thatā€™s bad.

Hello All,

Thank you for the continued feedback here. In our most recent Roon release (952), weā€™ve added some additional logging to try to capture more information surrounding these crashes.

If you are still impacted by this issue, can you please toggle Save logs to Files on next startup from your iOS Settings, reproduce the crash, access your Files iOS app and submit an iOS log set for review?

If you are familiar with how to use Console, then iOS Console logs would be helpful to troubleshoot this further as well, there is a guide on how to access these Console logs via a PC here.

Please upload log files here once gathered:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/e4p9o37f279e9badf49de9f5f1d456f1f30aa/external

As of the moment, the common patterns between the crash reports remain that multiple network interfaces are somehow being used (such as VPNs), but the reason as to why this makes Roon crash is not yet clear.

This has been a tricky one to nail down, but hopefully, we will have a clearer picture of what may be causing the issue with the updated logging. Thank you everyone for your continued patience here!

4 Likes

Hi @jamie, @support,

See previous threads below on my issues with the ios app crashing. Letā€™s try to keep this thread open, cause I havenā€™t had an actual fix for this just yet.

As a temporary workaround (but I donā€™t consider this a fix), rebooting the iphone will stop the crashes for a while. But after a while, theyā€™ll just come back.

1 Like