Roon backups size? [Answered]

Roon says I have 15665 albums. Roon backup needs more than two hours. Result is 6,51 GB of data, consisting of 65113 files in 41586 folders. In comparison JRiver MC Library Backup of the same collection needs less than 10 seconds and there is one backup zip file which is 14,9 KB.

@SonicYouth95 Moved to the Support threads area @support seems like this is an issue…however you will probably need to provide more information as per link below. One thing is where are your backups being put? i.e. media type SSD/HDD/USB/flash drive etc and your network if the backup is placed non locally is wifi/LAN…you get the idea

The backups are being put on HDD on the Roon Core PC. I have not created any metadata in Roon, so my question is: WHAT is really being backuped and why?

That’s not a goo idea… Best practice is to keep database backups away from the main system… Is not really a backup of you are backing up to the same system you ar trying to backup…

@SonicYouth95 It would help greatly if you post your setup as described on the link that @wizardofoz posted. Support will need this info to bets help you with your situation.

With that said… I do not have as many albums as you. I have 449 Albums and my DB size is roughly about 1.4GB.
As you described you have around 15.6K… Your DB size seems about right…

You cant compare apples to oranges, Roon is in a whole different category than JRiver…

I have a backup on ROCK thats about 1GB for 13000 odd tracks. Its taking about 10-12 seconds to prepare the backup then maybe around 4-5 mins to backup via a LAN connection to my NAS - all this while still streaming from the same NAS so clearly you having some odd issue.

I am trying on my other core on Win10Pro with a much larger db of 150,000 tracks to a local folder just to compare but my system is SSD drive. Ill post the results shorty…its still preparing the backup after a few minutes - this in on an i7-7700 CPU so its no slouch

you really need to detail the whole setup so we have a better picture of what might be causing your issue. Especially your machine specs and components like ram and disk capabilities.

Your Roon database, because that’s generally what backups are for. If you have Roon make the backups they’re incremental so you’re not using that much space with every backup. Roon’s rich in metadata, Jriver is not.

1 Like

Update it just finished…so around 5-6 mins I guess in total and 15.5GB!!!

@SonicYouth95 your system performance is at question here I guess as a starting point.

1 Like

@wizardofoz I might be wrong but I don’t think its an issue. 15.6K albums is alot of tracks. Also I think the 6GB is his whole backup folder… Regarding his file count… I don’t think that’s part of his roon backup (It could be as well not really sure)… He is backing up locally so I wonder if he got the folders and files mixed in…

@wizardofoz ah! You beat me to my reply :stuck_out_tongue:

I have over 100k tracks, and my backups are only 7.8 MB apiece. Just for comparison.

That’s not the whole story…

The Roon backup comprises of two main folders:

• …\RoonBackups<backup id>\backups
  • …\RoonBackups<backup id>\objects

The backups folder contains time stamped files that describe how to restore the data from the objects folder, to be able to restore the Roon DB to a given point in time.

The objects folder contains the actual data that is required to be restored. This includes everything that is in the Roon DB, so that upon restore nothing has to be re-downloaded from the cloud servers and no user edits / preferences / list / etc. are lost (hence its significant size).

When Roon creates the first backup, the object folder is populated from scratch, this take a while … and a backup file is created to document it.

Then with the subsequent backups only the differences have to be written into the objects folder [incremental] together with another [time stamped] backup file to document it.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

No. It is rather a question than an issue.

Thank you. THIS is the answer. I thought it is not an issue, I only wanted to understand what is really backed up. I did actually perform an initial backup, so the following incremental backups I can expect to be significant faster. In addition I am surprised that the whole cloud metadata are now stored locally. Not a bad thing anyway. :smiley:

This is only a backup on the primary system which is multiply being transported to other storage and media. Be sure that I am paranoid enough when it comes to backup policies. :smiley: On the other hand my music files and my own metadata (30 years of “work”) are of much more importance and value for me than any kind of cloud data provided by Roon.

1 Like

Not the whole cloud … only the metadata for the albums in your library … think of it as a local cache.

3 Likes

As I said this was not an issue or an unsolved problem of system performance and the like. I only wanted to know what data are being backed up. It has been already answered in this thread.

Of course :smiley:

Agreed. That’s why I was telling @wizardofoz.

@SonicYouth95 The fact you claim your backup takes 2 hours still mystifies me…and you still seem reluctant to expand upon your system specs so I guess in that case I have nothing else I can contribute as to why it might take so long.

If you feel like enlightening those of us that stepped up to offer some help then please do or can we just assume you are ok with 2 hour back periods?

I think you need to distinguish between the initial backup and the subsequent incremental backupa, which only save changes since the last backup.

If it was taking 2 hours each time, I would be surprised but I don’t think that’s what @SonicYouth95 is saying, right? Do subsequent backups complete more quickly?

2 Likes