Roon software icons: I feel bad about this…

… but I’ve read as many threads here as I could find. Honest. Nowhere does there seem to be a complete table.

So still… I’m somewhat in the dark about track icons in Roon (2.0 build 1272 on macOS 13.4):

I’m compiling a reference guide in Obsidian for myself to make sure I get the best out of Roon.

But these are all missing :frowning:

Would some kind, patient soul please direct me to a truly comprehensive list/PDF/URL/other doc where I can see what they all mean?

Thanks so much in advance…

I can’t give you a table but:

The disc icon and number shows how many known recordings of this composition exist, including streaming. Click the icon and you will see. The book icon and number (which you can click as well) shows how many of those recordings are in your library, which is enabled/disabled here:

The number next to the :arrow_forward: is the play count, how often you have played a track

4 Likes

Thanks very much. Makes sense. Thanks too for the screenshot.

Strangely, though (for me in the ‘Classical’ world), ‘known recordings’ and ‘recordings in Library’ don’t work as I would expect.

They actually reveal movements (as tracks) of the same work - but indeed, already in my Library.

The are - IOW - self-referential; and so not a great deal of use.

However, you’ve kindly directed me to the area (Settings > General) where I can investigate :slight_smile: .

I wonder whether there are ways to further ‘customize’ Library Counts etc so that it actually shows the number of files-in-album which are the same, etc.

To illustrate: for the book icon I see see ‘4’ for a work (Schoenberg’s Die glückliche Hand) which indeed has four Movements (≃part, ‘song’, ‘component’). In fact, because I have two separate Albums of that entire work (also with four ‘Movements’).

I would expect (and like!) to see ‘2’, meaning that Roon had identified - presumably using AllMusic - that I have two recordings of the same title. The same (‘4’) goes for the number of known recordings; there are at least a dozen in Presto, Discogs etc.

Or maybe I’m not understanding.

1 Like

Do you have only local files or streaming as well? Local files are by definition always in your library, so the two values are always the same and you can turn off the library count

I have no idea about classical stuff. For me, the counts are super helpful because they make it easy to find cover versions of a song.

E.g.,

Clicking the disc icon shows the composition (with description and Wikipedia links if available) and all 541 of its recordings:

And clicking the library icon (“book shelf”, but I guess it’s CDs or vinyl records) instead shows the same but only the ones I have in my library.

I guess for classical it should show the recordings of the movement, in equivalence to recordings of a song

2 Likes

Click the CD icon, gets you to all versions (non library included if you have a streaming subscription) the Books get you to all the versions you have in your library (without a streaming subscription I think does the same as the CD button)

The movements get listed as a sublist under the piece title, I think the only place where actually you can see the numbered movements it is on the now playing screen (but you do not see the list, just the playing one)

Clicking the heart saves them in the compositions (Never tried just for a part)
Clicking time, playcounts gives a quick menu (blue)
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 00.50.48
Clicking the dots it is a longer menu
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 00.50.55

I think some of those menus you can customise in the settings

100% agree a list pdf it would be useful. maybe you’ll post your list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Suedkiez - thanks again!

I do have a Qobuz account; I agree, it’s very useful to see the Q icon there :slight_smile: .

But I mainly use Roon as a repository for Classical albums (= commercially-produced, purchased, FLAC downloads), Yes.

Even then there is an anomaly: for example, I only get those icons against/at the right hand side of certain tracks. The Collection in question is this one.

That page on Presto shows how there are many other recordings of each and every work. Yet both Book and Disk icons reveal - at best - contradictory information about the works (some are a single track in Roon, others as many as 20).

And in fact, as you kindly point out - and illustrate in your second screenshot, genuinely other recordings are sometimes listed if I scroll down from the Disk icon. I suspect that this maybe the way in which Roon determines what is a work and what a movement in classical music.

Is there perhaps a setting that I am missing?

Thanks, @Traian_Boldea

Yes, makes sense. So - presumably - in this case (for this download (originally released as eight CDs) - either Roon or Presto has mistaken the numbers (= tracks: ‘Anfang (I)’; ‘Heftig’; ‘Lebhaft (I)’ etc) for (separately identifiable) works. Of course they are not.

Because this is what I see:

From what you kindly say, instead I would expect to see:

1. only one ‘entry’ in Roon for the opera with its 11 Numbers as tracks below it and indented
  2. against the disk icon potentially the number ‘42’ since Presto (so ideally also AllMusic and Discogs know of that many existing recordings)
  3. against the book icon the number ‘2’ since I have that many versions of the opera, Pélleas und Mélisande in my own Roon Library

Would I expect to see as many versions of Schoenberg’s early opera, Pélleas und Mélisande. as are known to Qobuz, though. What I see instead, now is the 22 tracks on the Gielen collection number 8 in my Roon Library. Am I missing something?

I guess I’ll search through these pages. Although a quick experiment in the Edit Album setting didn’t seem to make any difference.

Great. Thanks. Noted!

Surely!

Some tracks are not recognized as a composition, this is a metadata issue (where the info that a track is a composition is missing) which is annoying. Sometimes it can be helped and sometimes it can’t

1 Like

Oh, opera… I missed that. I remember from some discussion, I’m not 100% sure, but opera movements get in roon as individual tracks. I do not listen to opera so I do not know. It was about the shuffle, when using library files shuffle should not split compositions and jump from one movement to another but jump only from one composition to another. This was not possible with operas as the movements get in roon as individual tracks and not movements. I do not know a workaround tho that.

1 Like

I think, again not sure, there is a metadata mismatch between the files from presto imported in roon and the metadata in qoubuz. Might be the roon getting the movements as individual tracks or another mismatch. You can try edit the metadata for the local files following the metadata from a saved version from Qobuz maybe it will work.

Sorry it took me so long to understand

@Suedkiez thanks for all the links.

2 Likes

Thanks for those links, @Suedkiez.

I’m going to look at them much more closely later…

Is there any way for us users to edit (= correct :slight_smile: ) such metadata issues?

My first impression - perhaps re-inforced by what you say here, @Traian_Boldea - is that I am coming up against a limitation of Roon itself. Possible?

If so, that prompts me to:

• say that - as a lifetime owner - this is a small issue and one which I can ignore, so outstanding is virtually everything else in the wonderful world or Roon :slight_smile:
  • remind myself that when I first started using Roon (three years ago) I was strenuously advised by many good people, who obviously know this system ten times better than I do, to let Roon and its AllMusic lookup do the work; and not to spend too much time (in my case meticulously editing files in Yate)
  • ask for your opinions and guidance on whether it’s worth opening a support ticket to have Roonlabs weigh in: I’d have said the fact that - for the disk icon - sometimes I do indeed get alternative versions available elsewhere outside Roon and sometimes just a list of what I’ve already got, and sometimes nothing at all is not right (a bug).
  • wonder whether it’s still not me who’s missing a setting somewhere :slight_smile:

Again, your input very much appreciated.

1 Like

All best advice. I’ll remember and follow.

And also Roon is not 100% for classical so there are going to be some workflows that are made for “pop” music and are impossible to be different just for the classical music files or streaming.

1 Like

@Traian_Boldea

That prompts me to explore further with, say, cantatas, symphonies, song cycles etc - where virtually every work (which is where these icons would really be useful: how many (and which) other recordings of the composer’s actual complete conception?) is subdivided… a characteristic of the world of Classical music.

If you’re right (grateful for your insight even if you aren’t :slight_smile: ), it makes me wonder whether Roon plans to amend it.

But…

…would certainly account for my Gielen collection example, which seems ‘wrong’ on all counts when set against both your posts here.

Not at all!

+1 :heart:

1 Like

Not always. As far as I know, the riddle of “what constitutes a composition” was never 100% solved, but it seems that the “this is a composition” metadata must come from an online metadata source that Roon uses - but this may not be sufficient (see the links below). In some cases when it’s missing, it helps to add an album from a streaming service that contains the composition; then it also gets applied to the track where it’s missing. In other cases it helps to add a composer (when it’s missing from the track).

But not all cases can be solved and sometimes whatever you do does not seem to make a track a composition. Unfortunately in these cases it is not possible to edit a track manually in Roon to make it a composition. I don’t know why and IMHO it should be possible, e.g., to merge a track into a known composition. But it isn’t, which forces me to mark some tracks with a tag, which is a PITA.

You will find the info what can be done in the threads I linked above, and additional investigation was conducted here:

1 Like

Thanks. Have scanned those threads; and marked for later as well.

Are you working on the basis that - in the world of classical music - a symphony, say, is the Composition and its movements (very often four) are 'subtracks; an opera is the composition and its arias, choruses, recitative etc are ‘subtracks’?

And that it would be ideal for Roon only to apply the ‘other recordings’ and ‘in your library’ icons to the ‘parent’ work?

If so, then I need to address my question to Roonlabs tech support in terms of what constitutes a Composition and nothing else, don’t I?

Could it be that the ‘Work ID’ and ‘Part’ tags (which I always leave blank - because of the advice I refer to in my earlier post to let Roon do the work on import) might have a role to play here?

PS Have just looked at the way I tagged the Gielen collection before import and see that I did in fact do so exactly as suggested in that Roonlabs Help page - to indicate which was a Composition and which a Part:

What’s more, when trying to edit that setting, Roon says it its already using my data as it has none of its own!

I have no idea about classical unfortunately, but someone in the know will show up :slight_smile:

Fair play to you @Suedkiez you’ve really put a great effort into this issue.

I actually suspect that there are few (if any) Roon staff that fully understand this stuff.

.sjb

1 Like

With Classical music, automated processing by roon will only get you so far. It is extremely common that to get the results you want you must manually tag the source files. Popular tools are mp3tag for Windows and Yate for IOS if you are not already using a tagger.

From your screenshot your Gielen album is both unidentified and has no Classical tag. Roon uses the Classical and Jazz tags to know that it must process your album differently to a Pop album. This includes how it treats and displays composers and also how it treats and displays multi-part Classical compositions.

Normally, the first step is to ensure that the album is identified and ensure there is a Classical tag. However in this case I have checked and it doesn’t matter. Roon’s metadata is not complete and you will have to manually edit your source files to include WORK and PART tags in order for your multi-part compositions to be grouped correctly. Often you will also have to identify the compositions if you want the library icon to count correctly. There are various ways of doing this. The easiest is to go to the composition editor and “merge” your unidentified composition with the identified one. Mostly what I do is I go to to allmusic, find the canonical form of the composition there and past it into the WORK tag of my unidentified composition. The allmusic canonical form may be very different from what you have downloaded from Presto or what you have copied from the back of the CD.

The process is identical for chamber music, symphonies, opera etc. etc. It doesn’t matter. There are also additional tags like SECTION that many use to group Acts together for longer pieces like Opera and Masses. You can always ask roon to ask its metaddata suppliers to fix the problem at source. But it could be a long wait. Some fix the album on MusicBrainz, which roon will draw on so that all can benefit.

5 Likes

+1 :heart:

You can control the display of partial vs complete recordings. For example, under composition Pohjola’s Daughter > Recordings by popularity > toggle “only complete recordings”:

Roon is at the mercy of the metadata supplied to them and the presence of the recording in Musicbrainz and Allmusic. You can spend your life trying to edit tags of your library albums (usually with good result) and trying to edit Qobuz/Tidal entries (often unsuccessfully despite following best practices outlined in these pages, it’s hit or miss). You can also learn to make edits in Musicbrainz if you are serious about it which will benefit all Roon users. Fortunately you can usually find what you want even without the edits.

4 Likes