Slow performance since 1.6

Just switched from ST i7 to Nucleus+ for 1.6 as the ST died!

As others have mentioned, ROON becomes very slow under the following situations

• Search (can take up to a minute to search and retrieve results, this was not the case with 1.5 or 1.4)

• Sometime Albums don’t load in the Artists profile page (App has to be closed down then re-opened – sometimes works other times not?)

• When doing allot of tagging and edits (writes to the db), Roons refresh rates starts to slow down dramatically and writes take much longer to complete.

• Sometimes on track selection it just pauses, seems frozen and takes up to 1 minute for the track to play?

Overall ROON is a gorgeous and sometimes very painful experience with slowness occurring at any time. It was never like this with earlier release and I am also using Roon dedicated hardware.

The only solution I have found that resolves the speed issue is to log in and restart roon core, it then takes 30 min with all cores running to rescan files. After files have been rescanned ROON then works in the manner it should (fast).

Setup

Nucleus+, USB External Hardrive (10000+ Albums), Qobuz, 7 Endpoints, DSP – Up sample PCM to DXD, iPad Pro, Hardwired Ethernet, Broadband download speed 40Mb/s

Hi @Mark_Goodwin,

I’ve moved your report over to it’s own thread so our team can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing.

So we can better assist you, please pdescribe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

The next time that you’re in this state where things seem slow, I was hoping you could perform the following test. Please make a note of the time that you start the test and how long each step takes:

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

Respond here with the times for each and the time that you started (and your timezone). I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.

what do you think is a likely upload, download speed, network latency and jitter?

Since 1.5 the software feels heavy and slugish. Issues seem more related to internal and external Api’s having queuing and other related issues but cannot confirm. Rending responses to the presentation layer as well as to transport, seems less than optimised.

On a happy note it’s not Jitter as Roon (RAAT) has never sounded better, plus no dropouts and it has been Rock solid on performance.

Love the features and the product but using roon has now has become somewhat frustrating and this is impacting a previous positive user experience.

Hi Dylan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back with results.

I want to report back that I tried to run the tests last night but everything kept spooling and nothing was loading for up to 3+ minutes why delayed my testing.

Main screen blank, playlists were blank with a small gray box in the middle of the screen, etc. Spooling for minutes, then an album screen was accessible. Selected track to play on one end point – slow to play then needed to transfer to another zone. System froze for 5 minutes before the tracked played!

Got frustrated, unplugged router to let it reboot and after everything was fast (ipad, pc, laptops, etc.) except the Nucleus+, still slow and labouring in playback, search, presentation and selection!

Further frustration led to the core being restarted and USB hardrive being scanned for 30 minutes and post scan I have a ‘super responsive’ and ‘very snappy machine’ that is serving up ROON how it should do (fast and responsive with roon radio and upsampling)

This morning I did some editing of tags and adding pictures and Roon was fast, however after 45 minutes use it’s speed of response is starting to drop and its starting to slow down (very noticeable).

My questions to ROON development, Product / Engineering is why under the condition of a ‘core restart’ do I get

• A ‘super responsive’ and ‘very snappy machine’ that allows roon to be fast and responsive

However under standard use post core restart – it slows down dramatically and becomes unusable when more listening, database writes, searches are run and zone transfers occur?

There is also has another knock-on effect for a greater volume of data admin due to Roon rescans, Artist images are removed (should not happen – both manually input and system generated) and reclassification of artists. Any guidance in settings to stop this happening would be gratefully appreciated

Many thanks

Mark

A post was split to a new topic: Experiencing slowness with Nucleus Core

Hi @Mark_Goodwin — Thanks for the info here!

Do you experience this type of behavior on all remote devices? When one remote is going slow, are the others also performing slowly?

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

The next time you Nucleus is in this state where things are slow, try to start playback of an album and make note of the time that you click play Then respond here with that time, your timezone, the album name and artist, and how long it starts to play back. I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi Dlyan,

In response to your question, all remotes are slow

I have noticed recently that when I instructed ROON Radio only to use internal files the sluggishness improved somewhat and the system became more response. However not super fast like when the core is restarted

The transport issue is however baffling as the system freezes, becomes unresponsive but does not crash then plays a track circa 2 minutes later

Will report back with the track details and my time zone for review

In the meantime, please could you provide guidance in what settings to stop Artist Images being removed when rescans occur or even when editing

Many thanks

Mark

The artist pictures being removed/ changed might be related to this bug I reported about a month ago with no answer yet @dylan

Thanks Stevev1 for reporting. This issue has been around a while as I experienced it in 1.5. It become very problematic when you are grooming your genre and artist images then it all gets stripped out!!

Hi @Mark_Goodwin,

I responded in @stevev1’s thread and wanted to make sure you saw here as well:

Hi Dylan,

Slow performance test results

Results based on Steps

Time: 7.30 am (GMT)

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response 15
     Upload Speed: 559.00 Kb/s
     Download Speed: 6.92 Mb/s

2. Open Overview page.
     1 Minute to Open

3. Open Discover page.
     2 Minutes to Open

4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”
     21/2 Minutes before Beatles was displayed in Search

5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
     3 Minutes to Open the Beatles ‘Artist Page’ + 2 Minutes to Load Qobuz Albums in the profile page (5 Minutes Total)

6. Open the “Help!” album page.
     2 Minutes to Open Help Album Page

7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
     2 Minutes to Playback Starts

8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
     2 Minutes to Search for Daft Punk

9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
     1 Minute to Open Artist Page

10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
     1 Minute to open Album page

11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.
     1.5 Minutes to play (Qobuz version)

Findings

(1) Full ‘Round Trip’ for the Beatles from Search to Play for ‘Help’ was 11.5 minutes !!! (We have a problem)

(2) Ran the Speed test again at 10.10 am (GMT) as ROON speed was back to normal (quite snappy) and the results were as follows
 Upload: 635.00 kb/s
 Download: 4.93 mb/s

This 2nd test has highlighted that my download speed is significantly lower (4.93 mb/s compared to 6.92 mb/s) but speed of ROON has changed from slow / unusable to normal and quite responsive!!!

(3) Please could check your performance logs for these times - 7.30am GMT on 17/04/2019 and 10.10am on 17/04/2019 to see what difference is occurring with your infrastructure and/ or applications.

Additional Nucleus Issue

Also suffering from the same issue of ‘Chromecast Issue Frozen in Time’ for ROCK 1.6 and a Chromecast Ultra. No matter the amount of restarts with Google Home this issue does not get resolved.

Many thanks

Mark

Hi @Mark_Goodwin,

Thanks for the detailed info here, much appreciated! Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

In the meantime, I was hoping to gather just a little more info here for the team’s report.

Can you confirm the total number of tracks in your library, including both local and Qobuz content? You can find this on the Overview screen.

You mentioned that you’re using your iPad as a remote device. I assume the answer to this is “yes”, but just to confirm, do you experience this same behavior when using other remote devices?

Is your Chromecast connected to the network via Ethernet or WiFi?

How often do you see this behavior occur?

Albums - 10431 (circa 10 Qobuz, all other’s Local)

Remotes - iPad Pro 12.9, Samsung Note Pro 2 12.9, Samsung Note 9, Samsung Note 7 (All Slow - IOS and Android)

Chromecast Ultra - Ethernet Connection

95% of the time its Frozen in time. I have only ever seen it work correctly once but can never replicate. Nice feature, but not working as there is no syncing between track movement and display data is stale

Getting this resolved is quite key since ROON Radio has been upgraded and we can experience unique and powerful user experiences such as

Harmony Control > ROON RADIO > QOBUZ & / or TIDAL + Own Library > Chromecast Display

Note: All Infrastructure is Ethernet apart from Remotes which are through wifi

Thanks for the info here, @Mark_Goodwin. Passing this along to the team for their investigation. I’ll be sure to update you ASAP when I have further feedback from the team on this.

Hi @Mark_Goodwin,

I wanted to reach out because we’ve just released Roon 1.6 (Build 416). This update includes a fix for some performance problems we believe may be causing some users to experience slowness in Roon. Please give Roon an update and let us know if things have improved for you.

You can read the full release notes here:

Hi @dylan,

Just installed the new version on my Linux x64 server, but unfortunatelly the Tidal related slownes is still present. If I have Tidal disabled and go to any artist and from there to see the list of albums it loads all of them super quick.
With tidal enabled it takes up to 10 seconds to show the albums.
I think it would be better if you show the local content immediatelly and load the tidal content on the fly instead of merging it all before showing the resúts.

No such slowness exists in the native tidal app.
Roon client is running on iPhone 8 plus.

Hi Dylan

I have updated to build 416 and provide initial feedback based on 2 days but please note that more testing time will be required as typically after a core restart the system was quite fast for the first couple of days.

Observations

Tested on iOS and Android

• Search for Artist is much faster

• Search for Track is still slow and sometimes laboured (Slow response time). This happens when there are multiple versions of the same song in both internal library and Qobuz

• No presentation issues as loading of covers and artwork is working correctly

• Chromecast has not shown any instances of being stuck in time yet, however did notice for some songs lyrics were available but were not being presented (minor issue)

• No Slow Playback of Tracks when selected – greatly improved

• Major improvement of ‘Transferring Track’ to another zone. Prior to build 416 Nuclus+ was having serious issues.

• Discover is much faster

• Artist Images & Tags don’t seem to be removed on rescan (will be monitoring this and report back if issue present)

Open Issues

Due to Tag’s in Focus Search providing inaccurate results I have had to op to create ‘custom sub-genres’ as meta-data tags to tag at ‘Artists’ and ‘Albums’ level. However when I edit and assign the Parent some custom sub-genre tags do not appear later when I looking to Tag? This now creates a data management issue as I am tagging by memory and if human error occurs, I have just created a new sub-genre.

Overall build 416 seems to have addressed a number of performance issues, well done Roon development and engineering

Hope that helps

Mark

Yes it is a shame that results from local library cannot be shown immediately instead of having to wait for Tidal results. Especially when the track is in the local library.
It is not slow every time searches is slow.

The most recent example took more then a minute:
04/27 09:35:10 Trace: [library] computing search results for ‘only you’ for profile 63:1:339f1328-5a4c-4d3b-89c0-dc7ce560037e returning up to 50 results per list
04/27 09:35:10 Debug: [library] search finished in 418ms
04/27 09:35:10 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of performers took 584ms
04/27 09:35:11 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of works took 860ms
04/27 09:35:12 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of tracks took 1951ms
04/27 09:35:43 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of composers took 32735ms
04/27 09:36:10 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of albums took 60419ms
04/27 09:36:10 Debug: [music/search/performance] ComputeTopResult took 44ms
04/27 09:36:10 Debug: [music/search/performance] end-to-end search took 60464ms

Unfortunately the slow search is not reproachable. Even after restarting core the same search is displayed almost immediately.

Hi Dylan,

Reporting back…stable for 14 days with some slight to moderate slowless

However starting on the 10/05/2019 - Chromecast Ultra’s has got stuck in time again. Restarted, Unplugged, Stopped and Started Casting via Google Home App. Nothing is resolving this issue. It worked Flawless since the last update then it has suddenly stopped working. Roon core restarted and still no effect.

Please could you feedback steps to resolve this as it is an ongoing problem

Many thanks

Mark