HP1820 managed switch.
All ports to the server are prioritized

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos system S1 with around 7 players
Trinnov Altitude 32

Number of Tracks in Library

108.000 tracks

Description of Issue

Sonos players are disappearing after approx one day, need the n to restart the Roon server at the Synology platform. After restart the players are available.

Any idea what i can further check or do i need to restart dailey the Roon server?

1 Like

Hey @Jeannot_Schmitz,

Thanks for letting us know of this — we’re sorry about the trouble and even more so about the delay in getting back to you… :pensive:

There were a few issues with Sonos devices and Roon and we’ve been addressing them in the latest builds. Is Roon updated to the latest build on your Synology NAS?

Hello Rebeka

where i can find the last version?
I have installed the Roon server by downloading the installtion files from Christopher Riekes page.

Thank you

That should be it, @Jeannot_Schmitz.

Chris explains it himself here:

Thank you for the answer, but it doesn’t help by my problem. Sonos components are disapeearing

Roon is updated and Sonos has status S1, any idea what i can do?
I’m for the moment testing Roon and like to buy a life time version, but when Sonos isn’t usable, i doesn’t see any use of Roon

There are a couple of threads that offer help in this area (I suffered this in the beta for 1.8 as well).
There is some advice in these that can be useful in trying to debug this problem.
As far as I am aware, a fully working fix was never offered by Roon

Thank you Michael. This is for me a very big bug. I cannot use in this manner the Roon application. Have escalated the issue to Roon, will see what’s happen

1 Like

Good luck Jeannot hopefully you can get this fully working again.

Happens to me as well with a symfonisk in the bedroom. Absolutely does not appear in roon unless I open the sonos app first. And yet the network is aware of the soeaker and it’s available in roon as an airplay device, meaning it’s clearly detectable in some capacity. Just not as a sonos speaker.

1 Like

David I’m not sure these are related, but the issue you have is strange and I wonder if it is related to some kind of sleep happening (though never seen this before besides on Move and Roam).

The other issue is related to Roon losing all Sonos device’s and the Core requiring a reboot to pick them up, then they disappear again.

Sadly as I only have a single device I can’t test if it’s “all” of mine. I haven’t tried a reboot to pick up the sonos again.

Equally, has the OP tried accessing the speakers via sonos app first before trying roon. It sounds different, but may not actually be.

David it’s difficult to say, but try restarting the Roon core.
That always brought it back for me, for between a few hours and a day.

I now have reliable Sonos integration again after changing all my network, which was a lot of work and most of it is documented in the above threads.

Which type of network are the speakers on?
If any have a ethernet connection that will place them all on sonosnet.
Maybe an idea to try sonosnet and your own wi-fi router and see if the issue remains constant.

yeah i can be 100% sure it’s not my network. So either something weird the sonos is doing, or something weird that roon is doing.

I actually have the same issue with the Amazon Audible app, sometimes it does not see speakers that have not been used and i have to restart it.

David Yes I came to the same conclusion and pretty sure Roon was at fault (started with the very first 1.8 beta), but obviously can’t be 100% sure.
Most of my discussion with Roon is in the Beta section so is not generally visible

Hey @Jeannot_Schmitz,

Thanks so much for your patience while we returned to work and I circled back with our technical team.

As much as I wish we had a happier update, our team is still looking into this and would be very grateful if you wanted to help with some reproducing steps. Could you please share the information below?

Network

• Router brand and model
  • If switches are installed then brand and model(s)
  • Information on any other network devices (wi-fi extenders, powerline, etc)
  • Basic description of how the affected devices are connected (WiFi, Ethernet, SonosNet)

Issue Description

• Are there any specific actions which always seem to result in a device disappearing?
  • Is there a pattern to when devices disappear?
  • How do you get a device to reappear (Reboot device? Core? Network?)
  • Do the devices ever reappear on their own?
  • Do the devices disappear when playback is active or only when idle?
  • If the device is still visible via Airplay can you initiate playback to it using airplay (from Roon or another device)?
  • Can you please note the exact local time + date + track (if playing music) when this issue appears, access your Roon logs by using these instructions and upload a set here?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Network

· Router brand and model

Fritzbox 7490

· If switches are installed then brand and model(s)

HP 1820-48G-PoE+ (370W) Switch J9984A

· Information on any other network devices (wi-fi extenders, powerline, etc)

W-LAN with

Router Synology RT2600AC connected via LAN

Mesh Points connected via LAN 2x Synology MR2200ac

· Basic description of how the affected devices are connected (WiFi, Ethernet, SonosNet)

7 Sonos Device connected via LAN

2 Sonos Device connected via W-LAN

Issue Description

· Are there any specific actions which always seem to result in a device disappearing?

No

· Is there a pattern to when devices disappear?

The whole players are disappearing after a certain time and appearing again when I restart the ROON app on the server

· How do you get a device to reappear (Reboot device? Core? Network?) Restart of Roon

· Do the devices ever reappear on their own?

No

· Do the devices disappear when playback is active or only when idle? I cannot say anything to this point, for the moment no

· If the device is still visible via Airplay can you initiate playback to it using airplay (from Roon or another device)?

Not tested, how can I test this

· Can you please note the exact local time + date + track (if playing music) when this issue appears, access your Roon logs by using these instructions and upload a set here?

· No exact time, as mentioned after a certain time zones are disappearing

For info

ROON server app installed on a Synology DS918+ with Intel Celeron J3455 4GB Memory DSM7.01-42218 installed on a SSD drive

Synology is via Trunk port connected

Please be aware that i have configured an aoutomatic stop and restart of the Roon Server to solve this problem, but it doesn’t help, after few hours the player are disappearing again.

1 Like